main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Windows

How to avoid charges for Long Text Messages?

2: Seeker
So what is it that makes my phone in particular, convert >160 character Text Messages into Photo Messages?
View more options
17: Community Champion

Icksieray wrote:
So what is it that makes my phone in particular, convert >160 character Text Messages into Photo Messages?

TBH I'm stumped

It shouldn't, unless you are replying to multiple persons (and have the group text convert option on), are including non text charicters or media, or are sending a vLong (more than 5 standard messages in length) message.

Best advice is to take it to a repair centre and let them take a look 

One last wild idea, have you in the past had an iPhone, and or, does the person you are sending to have an iPhone

sigbar.png

Note I do not work for voda, My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own

View more options
I do have a decommissioned iPhone 3s which I still keep on Wifi to my Router, but only really use it an a Radio. There is now, no Phone/Text capability to this iPhone though.

Some of the long messages have been sent at least, to a known iPhone, but certainly not all of them.

I had made some changes to the settings I think, before I sent quite a long text a couple of days ago. I will check to see if this message has been entered on to my bill to date and if so, will get back to you to tell you if it has been registered as a straight text or charged as a Photo Message

Raymond
View more options
Re: Previous reply, have now checked my Vodafone Account online for usage to-date and can confirm the long message I sent on Tuesday at 13:09 was indeed, sent as 7 Separate Text Messages, none of which have been charged for!
View more options
Interestingly, I managed to send a long sms on an Android device recently. There used to be a specific setting to split long messages, but it seems to have gone.
View more options
The only alterations prior to sending the last long message on Tuesday, was to shut off, in Message Settings, all other MMS Toggles, other than Group Messages, which was already off. So, unless this is a flook, or Vodafone Accounts, have done something since I complained to them and I agree, it was, bitterly, or the only time, but I don't believe it to be the case, is it may have happened, is if a long message was sent to more than one person. This I will check as soon as I next send a long message, to more than one person! So many thanks, it would appear, this part of my recent beef to Vodafone, is now, at last sorted! - Raymond
View more options
I do regularly send long texts (jokes) to a group of fourteen people & have only been charged for long texts or mms message a few times which I'm sure wasn't when I sent the group texts.
At the end of the day, if its wrong, it will be whoever benefits from the extra money who is at fault.
View more options
Well after day's of trying to sort this out it seems to have come to a positive conclusion, I think the thing to watch out for is, if you leave group text or any MMS related settings switched on in message settings, then long texts will be converted to Picture Message's and will be charged as such! - Thank you to all the people that has help and tried to help with this matter!
View more options

I have been charged for the first time for long txt messages, first time in 10 years so I was very shocked & when I phoned Vodafone they told me it's been in a long time, so as I didn't know they will refund me £5.00. I have a samsung mini Galaxy III & I cannot find anything on my phone to stop or sort it out. The Vodafone personnel told me it is after 120 Characters but other people on the Forum have said 160, but some of my txts were short & I was still charges on ALL INCLUSIVE !!!!

View more options
3: Seeker

I have also recently been charged for long sms too. It seems to be because my phone (Galaxy S6+, firmware 7.0) automatically converts long sms into 1 MMS, whereas back in the days my more-basic phones would just split the long message into multiple SMS (at 160 texts cut-off).

And because my price plan has inclusive unlimited texts, I was suprised and somewhat angry at Vodafone's billing system. And I wasn't aware there's such silly functionality of converting a long SMS into an MMS.

After diving into the native phone settings, I couldn't find anywhere to swtich off the automatic conversion of MMS. However, I downloaded Vodafone's app, "Message+", and there's a tickbox to remove this silly conversion. So, hopefully from now on my long SMS will just be split into multiple SMS's and will remain inclusive within my price plan.

At first I was inevitably angry at Vodafone. But now I'm afraid I should point the finger at either Samsung or Android.

View more options

AFAIK, that's a Samsung thing, and I thought there was an option in the message app settings to split rather than convert (I'm pretty sure there was on my S2).   It's a long time since this has arisen and, tbh, I thought Samsung had fixed it (by defaulting to split).   It's not a Vodafone issue as they can only carry what was put into the system.

View more options