Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Lumia 930 & Windows 10

Dave_0203
4: Newbie

Hi All,

Has anyone noticed problems with Lumia phones & using Skype, Voice Recorder or Speakerphone?

My 2 year old Lumia 930 cannot be used on the functions I mention as of the Windows 10 update around April 2016.

There is a well publicised problem whereby the Win 10 update did something to the auxilliary microphones on the device rendering them all useless. This is just a software thing it seems. As a result the only mic that works is the main one used for phone voice calls.

I have been hoping that over the course of the year Microsoft would issue a fix....but not so far!

Are we to assume that a fix will never be issued? Is Vodafone doing anything about it?

Comments welcome!

Cheers, Dave

9 REPLIES 9

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Dave_0203, our Repair team may need to take a closer look at the phone to determine what is causing the issue. If the phone is out of warranty, there may be a charge for this. You can find more information here.

I would also recommend speaking with the manufacturer for any further advice that they may have in regards to this.

Dave_0203
Natasha,

Thanks for your message.

Be sensible. Google the problem. You'll find, as I said, it's a well documented Windows 10 'bug'.

There was a Microsoft/Nokia tool which enabled you to test the mics on a Lumia phone. Microsoft pulled the tool because they realised they had brought about a catastrophic widespread problem.

When will Vodafone & MS get their act & professional obligations together & fix the problem!

Be assured I am not paying you or MS a penny to 'fix' this. An update to Win 10 is needed.

As a non contract business customer I can go elsewhere with another phone manufacturer though.

Dave

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Dave_0203

I understand your frustration with this.

As @Tash mentioned, the manufacturer will be able to discuss these issues with you.

In terms of the next Windows update, please see our firmware statement.

Dave_0203
Carly,

OK. Put me right then. Who is the manufacturer? Enlighten me as to who I should contact.

Oh, & please give me their contact details.

Dave

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Dave_0203

I've checked this for you, there's a Microsoft help page containing contact details, they may be able to shed some light on the issue.

Let us know how you get on.

Dave_0203
Erm, Carly....

Whilst not wishing to seem ungrateful, if you take a shot at the 'facilities & info' offered there you'll realise that is a pointless suggestion.

You just go round in circles!

No what I want from you as the retailer of the device you were paid to supply to me is a proper contact link...company name, phone number, email address etc.

Or maybe as usual you just don't care!

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Dave_0203 Apologies, you'll be able to get in touch with the team at Microsoft here

I've tested the option myself and can see that there's a callback option from a Microsoft expert available. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Dear All, especially Vodafone Tech's,

Despite your encouragement to (a) visit your shops to get a Tech to check my phone or (b) contact the 'manufacturer' - I have fixed my problems myself!

I downgraded my phone from Win 10 back Win 8.1. It took approx 10 minutes & went without any drama or problems.

So now my Lumia 930 works properly, the way it was meant to. Skype works properly, I get audio when I do voice recording, I get audio with video recording....& hey Cortana answers my questions! Oh, & speaker phone works...people can hear me!

SO THE MORAL OF ALL THIS IS....MICROSOFT HAVE CRIPPLED THE SECONDARDY MIC'S ON LUMIA PHONES WITH WINDOWS 10.

Wake-up Vodafone, look at the Windows forums & elsewhere....Listen to dozens, yes dozens of people!! Accept your responsibility & obligations to your customers. Get MS to sort their rubbish product out!

I'm not under any contracts....When it suits me I will take my 3 business accounts elsewhere!

Freedom!

Cheers, Dave

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Dave_0203 Thank you for letting us know how you were able to resolve the issue! 

We'll use the information to help any customers who experience the same issue.