Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Microsoft Lumia 550 multiple problems

only-me
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have about a dozen problems and cannot get answers from the shop - they didn't have an expert available. This phone is not included in the help sections of Vodaphone's site even though they sold it to me.

1) when I turn on the top half of the screen is black and some of the icons are at the bottom - how do I stop this,

2) icons (often the windows icon) need multiple presses

3) not sensitive to the vertical/horizontal - it often tells me which way to hold the tablet

4) the phone goes black after perhaps 5 seconds so I can't read texts

5) I can type a text message but there seems no facility to send

6) which icons cost and which are free?  I have data turned off, I do everything on modem network but I cannot find out why about £ has disappeared from my account for one 30 second phone call to Vodaphone plus a similar length one to another portable. (I have a bundle giving me free texts and minutes and data)

7. What do all the icons mean?

😎 an email message deleted on the phone is not deleted at my ISP - why not?

9) MS Office Note is preloaded. I put three lists on Note on a laptop but only one is available on the phone - how do I get the rest?

10)  Why does Note do a wierd spell check? It doesn't approve of "name, spell, when and many other common words. How do I turn that feature off?

11) Edge is supposed to be an internet site but it is lockeds on my email account - how do I break the link,

12. I have a diary entry for Friday next but yesterday Sunday it showed the entry on the screen as being "tomorrow".  Why can't it get it right?

13) How do I find someone at Vodaphone able to help?

14) where can I get a manual?

any help with any of the above would be gratefully received.

7 REPLIES 7

Retired-Charles
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@only-me - Check the Microsoft Support Page for all the answers you need.

I tried that  and they told me to raise the questions at @LumiaHelp. Unfortunatelt that Twitter account does not seem to allow messages to be posted by non Microsoft personnel.

They also mention some community which I cannot make head or tail of. It is Vodaphone who sold the device so therefore I am asking you under the Sale of Goods Acts

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Hi, all your questions refer to the device which is a Windows device hence the advice to contact Microsoft, your contract with Vodafone is for airtime etc, yes they supplied the phone but Microsoft should be helping.

OK. I have tried MS but can't get anything from them. Given that the device seems not to do what it should and as vendors you are unwilling to help please send a formal "Deadlock Letter".

AnnS

Hello @only-me

You issue is with Microsoft.

Vodafone only issue a deadlock letter for an account problem.  You don't have an account problem.  As @63johnw mentioned, your contract is airtime only, Vodafone are supplying this to go with the phone.  You are still able to use the SIM in any other phone and still get the same service.

Take the phone into a Vodafone store, they should be able to look at the phone and see if anything can be done.

Madame,

I prefaced my original enquiry with the statement that I had already  been to your store and that they were unable to help.

To amplify, there is a long wait to see a sales person who then hands you over, hopefully, to a technician - after a long wait. Your technician was able to sort out one or two problems but by that time he was in excess of the period almlowed to deal with any one customer..  In subsequent trips there has been no technician available.  Each trip is about 25 minutes each way and yet more unfruitful trips .........?

I would add that your local store was originally not too helpful when I was trying to buy so in desperation I went to your Bristol store to buy - about 150 miles each way.

I have also been trying to get you to account for the reduction in the balance on my account but all I get is a mesage that your computer cannot produce the detail.

Since writing the above I have visited one of your tiny stores and at last found someone with whom I could relate.  In the short time the traffic wardens allowed he was able to, we think, turn off the spell check, saw and decided he didn't understand why half the screen is black, thinks he has extended the live period from a few seconds so that I will have time to read the messages, explained that the portrait/horizontal control can be awkward and even was able to make your central computer understand the word COLLECT  when you offered points.

He admitted that he was flying blind (my interpretation) and doesn't know about Microsoft phones. Therefore he couldn'(t tell me what the symbols mean.  As for which programs are free and which require extra payment I would have thought Vodaphone could have told me but obviously ........

Hi

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with the Microsoft Lumia but, you do realise that the people here giving you advice, DO NOT work for Vodafone, they are simply customers like yourself who give up time to offer help and advice.

May be worth keeping in mind when replying.