Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Wallet NFC App

NickBloodworth
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I'd like to start using the Wallet app, but can't find any information on its use.

Is it available yet in the UK (I have a Nokia 930)?

How do I add debit cards to my Wallet account?

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

redpages
17: Community Champion

Hi. There's currently a SmartPass option available.

The following link talks about compatibility, set up and available handsets

Vodafone SmartPass

Vodafone customer since 2004. Attempting to help where I can on the Community

View solution in original position

27 REPLIES 27

redpages

Hi. There's currently a SmartPass option available.

The following link talks about compatibility, set up and available handsets

Vodafone SmartPass

Vodafone customer since 2004. Attempting to help where I can on the Community

Only works on Android and Apple, not WIndows 8

hrym

Given that the My Vodafone app is only available on those platforms, I fear that's how it's going to stay.  Contactless payment is being pushed, but there's been resistance to takeup.  However, Apple have now got it working (in the US, at least) with onboard NFC, so that might change the situation.   If Vodafone don't bring their app to Windows, there may be other players, so keep a watch out.

Spoke to Vodafone shop today. It seems they have NFC SIMs to get this working with compatible phones which have NFC built in but they refused to give me one because may phone wasn't on their list as a compatible handset. This is nonsense in my view since I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with Kitkat, but their list says the SIM works with the Samsung Galaxy S4 and S5. Essentially they are the same in terms of the way the NFC works with an NFC enabled SIM. Can't see why a Note 3 wouldn't work with Vodafone Smart NFC SIM but a Galaxy S4 or 5 would. These launches of NFC are all the same, no one seems to know anything about it on the ground and you can't find anyone to help. This is not just Vodafone, it is the same for all NFC, had the same issue with Orange Quick Tap. Not s single shop knew what I was talking about when I tired to get a SIM. If someone from Vodafone is online can you confirm the SIM will work with the Galaxy Note 3 (NFC Handset). I know it's not on your list but I say it's been missed off!

Can they also confirm if it will work with a Nokia 930...

KD
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi both

In order to support Vodafone Wallet and NFC SIM, an NFC device needs to be certified to support contactless payments. This certification is required by Visa, MasterCard and Amex to ensure that contactless payments can be made securely using an NFC device. 

Not all NFC devices that are currently available meet this certification. You can see all the supported devices on the Vodafone Wallet page.

Thanks

Kirsty

hrym

Thanks KD.  That's useful.  I don't suppose you know whether that list is short because those are the only secure devices or just the only ones that have been submitted for certification?

The thing that I don’t understand is why has the S5 been verified before the note 3 which has been out longer? And this smartpass feels a little rushed to compete with Apple pay.

I can understand using the NFC tag for phones that don’t have built in NFC but phones that do, should be getting the NFC SIM and been tested before launch.

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Smartpass rolled out a few months back actually so it is not being rushed.  As things are changing in the industry, Vodafone are responding.

I personally would suspect that the reason the S5 was certified before the Note 3 is because it is a flagship handset.  Typically things are rolled out to flagship handsets first and then other devices.  Although, none of the Galaxy Note devices appear to be certified so perhaps there is something with the Note that is holding back the certification.

PWIAC