Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Wallet NFC App

NickBloodworth
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I'd like to start using the Wallet app, but can't find any information on its use.

Is it available yet in the UK (I have a Nokia 930)?

How do I add debit cards to my Wallet account?

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

redpages
17: Community Champion

Hi. There's currently a SmartPass option available.

The following link talks about compatibility, set up and available handsets

Vodafone SmartPass

Vodafone customer since 2004. Attempting to help where I can on the Community

View solution in original position

27 REPLIES 27

So why has there been more chat on this subject just before apply pay comes out? i can see its been out of a few months but there feels a big push from Vodafone on this now.

Another point is that it has been out for a few months then why have they not tested more phone for NFC payment then the small list they already have?

The note 3 is a flagship phone and has the same NFC technology as the S5, both phone need a Secure Element (SE) which has to be the NFC Sim card for NFC payment to work.

hrym

There has indeed been a lot of work going on in the background and the system has been in development for some time.  Apple pay only works in the US at the moment, where security doesn't seem to be as tight (chip & pin hasn't really caught on there, I believe), but a lot of work has been done on security, for all that.  Apple, of course, have the advantage of supplying both the software and the hardware.   Android has to cope with different hardware and different implementations of the OS.  On top of that, Visa - who seem to be at the forefront of this  - are insisting on individual certification rather than issuing a specification and getting manufacturers to certify themselves that they're compliant.  In view of what would happpen if it all went wrong, you can kind of see why!

NFC was originally implemented on smartphones as a means of connecting peripherals and a (secure) payment system has come late to the party.

The tag, of course, is no more insecure than any contactless card (which is all it is) and onboard NFC won;t be any more secure, it'll just be possible to turn it off when you're not using it - and that's it's main attraction for me.   I assume that NFC SIMs will be permanently on a well.

Its not really a question of something not being rushed its really a question of, why would we stick a nfc arieal on a flagship phone that has one built in.  Surly if sticking a nfc ariel via the smat sticker to the back of your phone is ok then using the more secure nfc withine the modern phone would be at minimun the same thing.  I think people are after a answer to why cant we use our built in nfc yet its fimne to use your external nfc, It doesnt make any sence to a normal consummer that wantes to use his her phone for wireless payments. 

If you could elaberate and explain why our phones built in nfc is  not usable yet a 3rd party sticker arial is

hrym

Because the security required by the banks isn't built into the phones yet.   That element is contained in the NFC SIM, which works with the inbuilt NFC.  So, yes, you can use the built-in NFC, but you need the extra security element.  (The tag has both the security element and the NFC, of course)

I have to totally agree with you, Why would we use smart antena if our phone already has nfc built in, dont understand why this is a issue in this day and age

hrym

It's the security element.  The NFC SIM provides that, but it also has to work with your account and the software on the phone.  As I understand it, the certification is more down to "it works" than "it's secure".

The Nokia 930 doesnt appear in the list of compatible devices. Has it been certified?

Can I have an NFC SIM if it is?

Nick

hrym

At the moment, NFC SIMs aren't available on request.  Your account needs to be on Vodafone's new backend system, as well as the device being compatible.  If all that's in place, you should be offered a SIM in due course.

There appear to be SIMs in Vodafone shops and they have been known to hand them out (though they shouldn't as they won't necessarily work).  However, the fact they're there tends to suggest an imminent wider rollout - though this has been the case for a while, so I suspect a delay.   If that happens, I'd expect a wider annoucement.   At that stage, it may be possible to get an NFC SIM and simply see if it works.

Hi, 

It's been over a year and the list of supported devices has not been updated.

Motorolla Nexus 6? Windows phone?

hrym

I agree it's all very new and there's not a lot of knowledge around.   At the moment, Wallet only works with SmartPass, which uses (or can use) a separate tag that's basically just a contactless card.  You can keep it in your pocket, stick it to the back of the phone or slip it into the case if you use one.   If you have one of those, you don't need any NFC capability on the phone.  It'll be different when you can add other cards to the Wallet, of course.

Personally, I much rather be able to use the onboard NFC as you can turn this off when you don't need it for added security.  When NFC SIMs become more widely available, it may just be a question of getting one and seeing if it works.  There do seem to be some compatibility issues, but I'm not sure how or why.