Ask

Solution

4G abroad

Dac0800
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a Iphone 7plus I bought from the Apple Store 10 months ago
I'm on a pay monthly tarrif which includes 4g roaming abroad,
The problem I have is I cannot get 4g abroad in Spain, 3G no problem when I do a Speedtest it tells me my server is based in London even though I am in Spain ,the friends that are with me are also on Vodafone and using iPhones and they are getting 4g and there server is in spain
I have been in contact with Vodafone several times they have tried sending me new settings ,LTE as been updated I've replaced the sim they cannot fix the problem,there advice is Iphone is faulty has anyone got any advice thanks

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hello @Dac0800

I've seen similar threads in the past where two people have been abroad together and both using the same phone , same Os and same or similar tariff and one has had a better user experience than the other. 

Vodafone U.K. cannot guarantee connection quality when a person is abroad as understandably they have no direct control over a foreign network. 

Is 3G not a usable experience for you ?

I understand you'd like 4G to provide a faster connection but at least you have 3G. 

As a process of elimination can you try your sim in another phone ?

Also try your friends Vodafone SIM card in your phone. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

This is a strange one...

So do you get 4G when you're in the UK (silly question I know but that will confirm you have 4G on your account).

If that is the case then 4G should work abroad. 

If the problem was with the iPhone then you'd not get 4G anywhere. They don't discriminate when they cross borders! :smileyhappy:

As for your point about your iPhone saying your nearest server is in London. I think this is deliberate. I noticed recently when using my Vodafone Greece sim here in the UK (roaming on Vodafone UK) that the adverts and banner ads were in Greek. I did a speedtest and my server was in Athens. I then tried to access websites that are usually don't work outside of Greece and was able to watch the content (albeit I'm boring - it was ANT1 news).

So I think this is the same for you. I believe this to be about the new upcoming rules relating to net neutrality which aims to stop your internet experience being hindered when abroad.

I did a google search (was directed to google.gr) and searched My IP address and it brought up Vodafone Panafon Hellenic Telecommunications and my IP location as Athens. 

So the second part I wouldn't worry about however this 4G issue needs fixing for you. One of Vodafone's main selling points is more 4G in more places so it's not unreasonable to want to take advantage of that.

Thanks for your reply I've ordered another sim from Vodafone with a different number on pay as you go I'm going to try that in my mobile when I go to Spain in a couple of weeks then I will know for sure if it's my account they have screwed up or it's my phone ,

when I come back from Spain I will let you know thanks