Solution

Accidentally deleted an important text/contact

Cayotcas
3: Seeker
Hello

I have stupidly deleted a contact and some important texts from that contact
I don't have access to a pc to try and recover the info
The "my account" function is offline with Vodafone( I'm assuming I can see the phone number from my usage ?) and I'm desperate to try and find a way of getting the info back
Any ideas please?
10 REPLIES 10

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

If your contacts are backed up to iCloud, you should be able to restore them from there. Go to Settings > iCloud on your iPhone and log on with your Apple ID.  The contacts option should be on, turn it off. Once the phone finishes the process, turn the contacts option back on.  When prompted select merge and any iCloud contact backups will be restored.

PWIAC

Cayotcas
Many thanks

I did not have iCloud backup contacts facility on 😞
I guess I will have to wait until "my account " comes back online ?
I assume once its on I can see current bill and it will show me the numbers I've used and received ?

drey_p

Hi there

If you don't have an iCloud back up, then your next best option would be to try and restore a backup via iTunes when you next have access to a PC.  Your option of looking at your current billed or unbilled usage is a really good way of getting your number.

BTW - I don't know if you know this, but you can add numbers to a "phonebook" in My Account - that way it is easier to recognise numbers on your unbilled usage.

PWIAC

Cayotcas
Many thanks

Will the backup via iTunes (when I can get to a pc ) retrieve the deleted contact info ? ,even though its gone from my phone? It would have been added since my last connection to iTunes and wouldn't have been syncd to my pc previously

drey_p

If you haven't already backed it up via iTunes, then I am afraid that you won't be able to get the contact back that way.  I thought that you had a back up since the contact was added - sorry, my bad.  I would say for the future - backup, backup and backup.  It's the best way of making sure that you reduce the risk of loosing data!

PWIAC

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

This is a tough lesson to learn and I am constantly amazed that so many users use their mobile phone as the only storage place for their contacts, photos etc.

All smartphones these days all have multiple means of copying data either to a cloud based system such as iCloud or Gmail or to sync with a computer based program like Outlook. Personally I have my data is several locations both physical and virtual.

To the OP - good luck in getting back the information you have lost.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Cayotcas
Yes I appreciate your comments
I happened to be in Cuba at the time so my phone was my only method of contacting this person
I won't make the same mistake again!

For info it seems unless you are at the point where a bill has been produced you cannot access live usage through my account !

jeffkinn

If this was a recent call does the call log on your phone not have the number saved in it?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Cayotcas
It was a series of text messages, so I'm afraid not