main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

iOS

Adding Apple Watch to SIM only

Highlighted
4: Newbie

Hi.  Can someone from Vodafone tell me how to add an existing cellular Apple Watch (one that was bought direct from Apple) to my monthly SIM only?

Thanks.

View more options
47 REPLIES
Administrator

@johnnykins You'll be able to do this from 21 September 2018 😊 Keep an eye out on our website for further details on how you're able to add this - it'll be updated nearer to the time. 

Edit - Apologies, I didn't notice the SIM only aspect to the previous message. The most up to date information would be in my reply further down here

View more options

Thanks Alex.

View more options
2: Seeker

Alex when will be know the what the sim only cost is to add your Apple Watch to you plan.  I know EE charge £5, will this be similar. 

View more options
Administrator

@littlebanker That news on the Apple Watch Series 4 hasn't yet been released, but if you already have a Series 3, it can be linked to your existing Vodafone iPhone plan for just £5 a month (free for the first 6 months). If you have a SIM only, you wouldn't be able to link the Series 3 to it, Series 4 yet to be confirmed. 

Any changes or updates to this will be posted here

View more options

So clearly a ploy to force you to buy a iPhone plan or a Apple Watch with Vodafone.  Not the greatest customer service and certainly not providing customer choice as I prefer to buy my items outright.

Luckily for me I can always just move my phone plan and my broadband elsewhere to someone with a little more customer focus and customer care.

View more options
9: Established

@Alex

There is conflicting information. I came off a live chat with a Vodafone agent today. I currently have a SIM Only Red package. I asked that if I purchase a Apple Watch 4 direct from Apple (I want the stainless steel) then can I add it to my account.

They said yes, after the 21st and it will be £5 per month. I'm making an £800 purchase off the back of Vodafones information but now I've read your reply, can I sense check you are saying that SIM Only plans will not be covered?

View more options
3: Seeker

There's a page on Vodafone's main site that you can reach via the Apple Watch info page, or go HERE

It's an Eligibility checker that lets you check if your plan is eligible to link a Watch to.

Ironically, it interacts via text to give you a security code, then only gives you the answer via Text.. and my answer was.... frustratingly:

"due to the high volume of requests there has been an error while processing your eligibility check. Please give us a quick call now on 191 and we can get this done over the phone."

Need I say more?  It's what we come to expect of Vodafone really

View more options

Yep tried it, got the same which is why I reached out to a Vodafone agent, got the expert information and made my purchase. If Watch arrive and Vodafone then says no then it will be interesting as I have the transcript from Nuance of my interaction with Vodafone explicitly telling me yes.

Vodafone should really issue very clear communications on this

View more options

My experiences with Live Chat have always been frustating and frawght with misinformation and inaccuracies, but then again, calling them doesn't necessessarily improve on that!

I've been with Vodafone for 22yrs of unbroken loyalty and that's only because I rarely have to get in touch with them.  If I had to contact Vodafone more often, I'd have left long ago

As for the Apple Watch, I'll be buying mine in Canada, as it's around £100 cheaper.  The only thing I've to check out yet whether the eSim is only loaded once you start it up for the first time and therefore does it mean it won't matter I buy it outside of the UK, as when I set it up, it'll set up on a UK network.  If not possible, I'll be buying the non Cellular one

View more options

I have just used the Apple Watch Eligibility Checker and it did not work too.  Its rather frustrating if I am excluded just because I dont pay for an inflated iphine contract.

View more options
1: Seeker

Further to @sophos9

I've been SIM-only with Vodafone for 10+ years and am also part of the Apple upgrade programme. As such, my iPhone XS will be financed and supplied through them.

As part of the process I've also pre-ordered an Apple Watch S4 directly from Apple. Their website and confirmation email says in unambiguous language that Vodafone is a supported carrier (alongside EE). Nowhere is there a caveat that says "as long as you bought your iPhone from Vodafone".

If, for any reason, you are not going to offer your SIM-only customers an Apple Watch tarriff, I think you better tell Apple UK quickly because, as things stand, they are unwittingly misleading their customers and may end up with a large number of refund requests (including mine).   

View more options

Just had a reply from them on Twitter also saying it can only be linked to an existing iPhone contract. 

Looks like i’ll Be sending the watch back and I’m sure I won’t buy one from Voda. 

View more options

Alex, in the reply below you have completely contradicted the reply you gave to me.

@Alex wrote:

@littlebanker That news on the Apple Watch Series 4 hasn't yet been released, but if you already have a Series 3, it can be linked to your existing Vodafone iPhone plan for just £5 a month (free for the first 6 months). If you have a SIM only, you wouldn't be able to link the Series 3 to it, Series 4 yet to be confirmed. 

Any changes or updates to this will be posted here

View more options

I just spoke with an operator on 191 who confirmed that the Apple Watch bought from Apple will come with a PIN and on my SIM only Red plan they will be able to set it up for £5 per month AFTER the 21st of September.

View more options

I have just spoken to customer services on 191 too and they have confirmed that I can add an Apple Watch bought directly from Apple to my SIM only contract.  At last a little clarity.

View more options

Just to add to the mix.. Apple Support have checked for me, and if I was to buy the watch in Canada, and set it up in the UK, it should work fine as long as the model numbers are the same.

So the outstanding issue appears to be typically unclear info related to whether an SIM Only Contracted plan can connect with the Series 4 Watch.

Maybe one of these days, companies such as Vodafone will make the customer experience at the heart of their decisions and communications.... #justsayin

View more options

3D9BE161-AE4F-4C5D-8944-06821466733D.jpeg

My 2 responses on Twitter today, when asking if I can link it to my sim only contract.  

View more options
12: Established

I have a SIM only Red entertainment plan, the eligibilty checker says

Thanks for using our Apple Watch Eligibility Checker. Great news- we're pleased to confirm that your plan is eligible for this device. Please contact us if you wish to buy now.

So you pay £5 more to use the data you are already paying for.

View more options

There is ambiguity in that response Please contact us if you wish to buy now

What if you bought the watch direct from Apple?

View more options