main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

iOS

Adding Apple Watch to SIM only

2: Seeker

@m3centurion wrote:

@macdegsy wrote:

My experiences with Live Chat have always been frustating and frawght with misinformation and inaccuracies, but then again, calling them doesn't necessessarily improve on that!

I've been with Vodafone for 22yrs of unbroken loyalty and that's only because I rarely have to get in touch with them.  If I had to contact Vodafone more often, I'd have left long ago

As for the Apple Watch, I'll be buying mine in Canada, as it's around £100 cheaper.  The only thing I've to check out yet whether the eSim is only loaded once you start it up for the first time and therefore does it mean it won't matter I buy it outside of the UK, as when I set it up, it'll set up on a UK network.  If not possible, I'll be buying the non Cellular one

I am lead to believe that you cannot buy the watch outside of the country you want to use it in.  So if you want to use the eSIM you need to buy the phone in the UK as the watch is not unlocked like the iPhone.

Sorry, I meant to say, you need to buy the Watch in the UK

View more options
3: Seeker

This is not correct. I spoke to Apple and they confirmed you can buy the watch anywhere in the World, as long as the model number you buy, is identical the the model number available in your home country.

Once switched on for the first time, and you download the eSim, it’s the country you are in that the eSim is locked to, associated to your iPhone. Therefore, as long as I don’t set up until back in the UK, it should be fine. Only then you can’t roam with it outside UK

View more options

Transcript of live chat with Apple:

DS

Ok, so I know that the new Series 4 wont work with Roaming.  However, if I was to buy a Cellular version in Canada, to bring home to UK and set up for working in the UK, is that possible?  I', assuming the e-sim is only downloaded once you start the set up?

Apple

You have reached the right place. I am going to do everything in my power to work with you to resolve this issue.

Apple

Give me a moment to check this out for you.

Apple

As long as the same model of watch is offered in both countries that should work just fine.

DS

which appears to be the case. So that's good news!”

View more options
4: Newbie

Except that isn’t the case for you, the Canada model is A1976 and the UK model is the A2008. 

The Canada Watch only has support for cellular  bands in Canada, USA and Puerto Rico. 

View more options
2: Seeker

@macdegsy wrote:

Transcript of live chat with Apple:

DS

Ok, so I know that the new Series 4 wont work with Roaming.  However, if I was to buy a Cellular version in Canada, to bring home to UK and set up for working in the UK, is that possible?  I', assuming the e-sim is only downloaded once you start the set up?

Apple

You have reached the right place. I am going to do everything in my power to work with you to resolve this issue.

Apple

Give me a moment to check this out for you.

Apple

As long as the same model of watch is offered in both countries that should work just fine.

DS

which appears to be the case. So that's good news!”

Strictly speaking, that is correct, but the problem you will have is the model numbers for the US and Canada are different.  The Apple guy should know this as this is common knowledge since the Apple Watch 3 was released last year.  Full details in the link below

https://www.apple.com/uk/watch/cellular/

View more options
Highlighted

The live chat with Apple was post-launch but pre-release and at that point the model numbers weren’t yet available for Series 4. This was covered later in the live chat not copied above. So it’s not the Apple guys fault. 

I’ll chat in store for more detail before deciding to buy or not. I’m not 100% fussed about eSim, it’s more that I prefer the Stainless Steel version as it’s much more durable and resistant to knocks and scratches (I have the SS Series 1 version, and after almost 3 years there’s still not a mark on it)

View more options
1: Seeker

Thought I'd just add info regarding my experience tonight.

* Received my Apple Watch today from Apple.

* Setup watch as normal

* Contacted 191 to set up the cellular option.

* 10 minutes later, everything was set up, and I was able to recive a phone call, while my phone was swithed off.

Very impressed.

View more options
4: Newbie

I’m on sum only Red Entertainment 

called 191 they transferred me to the activations team who wanted the Eid short while later all up and running

View more options