Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Apple 6 unlocking

graemewhitelaw
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a i phone 6 bought from car phone warehouse ,the first sim entered  was from talktalk mobile who use the vodafone network .i am now trying to put a sim from three in the phone and its says its not supported .

How do i go about getting the phone unlocked as im getting pushed from pillar to post and getting nowhere soon 

12 REPLIES 12

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

The Network it's locked to will need to request apple to release the network lock status. 

From my understanding iPhones from Cpw are now fully unlocked as per their online page and shouldn't lock to the first SIM card. Is the 3 sim activated ? Ask Cpw when there change of policy on iPhones happened. 

Tip > An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting an unlock code but instead is unlocked via Apple and their Database.
 The Network typically let a person know it's been requested to apple after accepting your unlock request. (Check Spam Inboxes too)
 Apple then can take occasionally approximately up to 30 days sometimes to complete an unlock request made by a Network.
 Periodically insert an active Alternative Sim Card in the iPhone and hook up to iTunes.
 From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @graemewhitelaw

If you were previously with Talk Mobile as PAYG, the PAYG section of Talk Mobile will be closing and will be unavailable to use from 31st August.

Although Carphone now state all phones including the iphone come unlocked, if the phone is locked, with Talk Mobile being owned and part of Vodafone, phones locked to Talk Mobile should also accept a Vodafone SIM and you will probably find a Vodafone SIM will work perfectly in the phone to enable you to unlock with Vodafone going the PAYG route.  

The quickest way to get a SIM will be to order a free SIM online, this can be done by following the link below. 

Free PAYG SIM 

The SIM will need to be topped up with a small amount and used on the network for 30 days, after which time complete the form below as PAYG to get the unlock.

Support - Unlocking

BandOfBrothers

I had a good think about the Vodafone Payg option too @AnnS but considered that Apple and Vodafone would see that the iPhone is locked to the Mobile Virtual Network Operator Talk Talk. 

I thought the Vodafone  Payg Route is more for like if a person buys a mobile phone already locked to the Vodafone Network and want a way to unlock it to use on another Network. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

There is confusion as to whether the @graemewhitelaw means talktalk or talk mobile.

Talk Mobile is owned and part of Vodafone, talktalk mobile stopped using the Vodafone network in favour of O2.

@graemewhitelaw Perhaps you could confirm if you mean Talk Mobile or TalkTalk.

If you mean TalkMobile, try what I suggested with a Vodafone SIM, it will be the quickest way to get the phone unlocked.

The first sim entered into the i phone 6 was from talktalk .

AnnS

Hi @graemewhitelaw

If you mean TalkTalk and NOT TalkMobile, (owned and part of Vodafone) there is a big difference.  If it is TalkTalk, you will need to contact TalkTalk Mobile for help and support, the company uses the O2 network.  If you still have the old SIM, you should be able to see the operator name on the SIM.

If you do a Google search for TalkTalk Mobile,  you will be able to find the information you need.

From  numerous  phone calls to talk talk   mobile  I was told to contact vodafone  to get my iPhone unlocked.That was from talk talk customer service. 

jeffkinn

They are categorically wrong. Only the network that has locked the phone can unlock the phone as Apple will only take an unlock request from that network. They will not act on a request from Vodafone.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

AnnS

Hi @graemewhitelaw

The best way forward is to get a free PAYG SIM from the Vodafone website and see it works.  With there being confusion over Talk Mobile and talktalk mobile, you may find the SIM works.  The information of how to get a free SIM can be found below.

Free PAYG SIM

I have just searched on Google and you will see that with talktalk mobile previously using the Vodafone network in 90% of cases a locked phone will also work with a Vodafone SIM.  If it turns out that the phone was previously used with a TalkMobile SIM, it should accept a Vodafone SIM without any problem.

This is turning out to be quite an interesting and complex thread, and look forward to knowing the final solution.