Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Apple Watch Cellular not working

vegasvic2005
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I recently aded an Apple Watch Series 3 to my Vodafone plan. Last week it worked fine but now not at all.

I've tried all the tech support suggestions (after 2hrs on the phone).... Unpair, Delete the app, re-boot the watch, pair again, set up as a new watch..... and still Vodafone mobile data is not working.

I can see in my account details that a secondary number for my watch exists alongside the primary number for my phone. Despite that, when I try to set up Mobile Data on the watch app it tells me that I can't use this plan with Vodafone One Number.... I don't even know what that is.

Are there any new fixes for this?

53 REPLIES 53

@DROBBO1 - Lucky you.  Pleased you got things sorted though.  It feels like VF need a lot more than 1 or 2 people who know what to do to sort this out though...  The Social Team do seem to know what needs to happen, it just feels like they're inundated with requests to get people connected.  Tough gig for the customer facing teams, but the delays and false promises are frustrating for customers too.

Totally agree. 191 were a waste of time, technical told me to put a sim card in?! The store didn't have a clue even though they got all the set up info on screen.

If it helps anyone, I had updated to a one number account and they said that the order and the update sort of happened "across each other" so didn't update correctly. Thus, reconfiguring? 

I initially checked the order was closed off correctly and they had my EID.

So if people have had to update to new account (one number) it appears in my case they had to sync everything and then the carrier settings get updated and Boom...... you're off.

Good Luck..

So it took 12 DAYS but, finally, I now have a working mobile data connection on my Apple Watch! I’m still not completely sure what was done by the Social Team to get things working, but seems the first step was for Vodafone to do an eSIM swap process and then a ‘manual workaround’ being applied to my account. What finally sorted it was a ‘Carrier Seetings Update’ message appearing on my iPhone  - as soon as that happened, the Apple Watch Mobile Data page updated with ‘Vodafone UK’ as my data plan - no additional unpairing/pairing required!

Having been able to use the connection without my iPhone being nearby, it’s very noticeable how much more of the battery power the watch uses when connected to cellular (when your iPhone is nearby it’s using your iPhone rather than the eSIM connection). Also, it’s quite limited in terms of what you can do with the watch when it’s using the eSIM, but that’s not VFs fault, just a limitation of the watch. Will see how valuable having the eSIM connection is over the next few months... Although it is very clever, and the call quality is pretty good, both using bluetooth headphones paired to the watch, and impressively using the watch’s own speaker and microphone.

I just need Spotify to pull their finger out with a Watch App that can use the eSIM now... :Smiling:

@jamescarlin wrote:

So it took 12 DAYS but, finally, I now have a working mobile data connection on my Apple Watch! I’m still not completely sure what was done by the Social Team to get things working, but seems the first step was for Vodafone to do an eSIM swap process and then a ‘manual workaround’ being applied to my account. What finally sorted it was a ‘Carrier Seetings Update’ message appearing on my iPhone  - as soon as that happened, the Apple Watch Mobile Data page updated with ‘Vodafone UK’ as my data plan - no additional unpairing/pairing required!

Having been able to use the connection without my iPhone being nearby, it’s very noticeable how much more of the battery power the watch uses when connected to cellular (when your iPhone is nearby it’s using your iPhone rather than the eSIM connection). Also, it’s quite limited in terms of what you can do with the watch when it’s using the eSIM, but that’s not VFs fault, just a limitation of the watch. Will see how valuable having the eSIM connection is over the next few months... Although it is very clever, and the call quality is pretty good, both using bluetooth headphones paired to the watch, and impressively using the watch’s own speaker and microphone.

I just need Spotify to pull their finger out with a Watch App that can use the eSIM now... :Smiling:

Now for Spotify to do that would just be awesome 😎 

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@inim666 @jamescarlin @DROBBO1 I'm absolutely delighted you're all up and connected with your Apple Watches! I apologise it's taken a while to get here.

I myself also took out a new Apple Watch Series 4 and I'm really impressed with it's capabilities. I too have noticed there currently isn't a Spotify app for the Watch yet, but I've noticed the control functions are still compatible as long as the Spotify app is open and playing via the phone first. I've also noticed Spotify partnered services such as Djay Pro also offer a Watch app. Whether you can launch Spotify from here I'm unsure, might be worth a try though.

Same issues as everyone else.  Finally got Customer Relations to agree to exchanging the watch.  Brought it home and guess what......exactly the same problem.  On mobile data the watch is saying that there is no sim.  Prior to that we had an error code which Vodafone didn’t even know what it meant.  Anyone had the no sim issue, and any suggestions to resolve as Vodafone haven’t got a clue?

Sewelldel1983
2: Seeker

HI 

mine is doing the same thing had it a week now.

If your on a sim only your need to change phone plan 

if you on a full phone contract ask to see if your plan is compatible with data sharing.

Also mind is now fixed yet but I have changed plan and it seems to be allowing me to add data plan to watch but Vodafone is now declining me as they credit check to add the data plan even know they credit check in store when you buy this.

Bart1209

It looks like I now have to go through the same mess around you’ve had. I called Vodafone yesterday morning about my watch, I was told that they would call me back in 24hours. Well still not working and no call! I’ve been a loyal customer for 15 years and have never asked for anything. Well now I see what everyone else has been complaining about with the poor customer service.  

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Apologies for our delayed response @Bart1209. If you're still unable to connect to our service through your Apple Watch, we'll be happy to look into this for you. As we'll need access to your account to do this, please get in touch by following the instructions in this private message.

So i thought i would do an update. After the the first 24 hour deadline vodafone gave me to turn on my watch, nothing. so i called again and this time i was given a 4 day deadline with a promise that it would work this time and a call afterwards when it done. well that 4 days have now been and gone. watch still dosnt work and no phone call.

Am i just being fobbed here? so tempted to just call it quits on 16 years of loyalty here and go to EE who can get the watch to work before you leave the shop! Vodafone what is wrong with you? you cant stick to your own deadlines, you don't call back when you say you will, and your customer help, dosnt help!