Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Apple Watch Series 5 Migration

garethr
12: Established
12: Established

So just wanted to actually compliment Vodafone for once!

Received my new Apple Watch Series 5 along with my 11 Pro yesterday and I must confess I was dreading trying to get the data plan working with the new phone and watch. Last year with the Series 4 it took a good three months and the involvement of the executive office team to get it working correctly. Not a process I wanted to repeat. 

The process I followed was straightforward:

1. Setup the new phone (restored from an iCloud backup). I did not include pairing the existing Apple Watch at this point. 
2. Unpaired the existing watch from the old phone - it is critical to select the 'keep data plan' option though. 
3. Paired the existing Apple Watch with the new phone - it detected the data plan immediately and restored from the backup which gets taken when unpairing. I confirmed the data plan was still active and working. 
4. Then unpaired the watch from the new phone again - and again be sure to select 'keep data plan'. 
5. Begin the pairing process with the new watch. On trying to configure the data plan I got a message about already having a secondary number in this one number plan.
6. A quick call to Vodafone CS pointed me in the direction of my account online where I could perform a selve service eSim swap. I entered the new Watch's EID and confirmed the swap.
7. Within around 10 minutes the swap happened and the data plan activated. No reboots required. All very painless.

Steps 3 and 4 probably weren't really necessary but I wanted to be sure the data plan would activate with the new phone and price plan.  

A few general observations though - the advisor knew exactly the correct process, appeared knowledgeable and even correctly called the Watch an 'Apple Watch' rather than the totally incorrect and cheesy 'iWatch'.
Seems things have evolved considerably after the pain of last year and the whole One Number and eSim setup seems much more mature.

So, for once, well done Vodafone!

10 REPLIES 10

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there @jdashberry - we'll keep you updated on the latest of your order via text and email.

You should also be able to track this online.

If you're experiencing issues with your coverage, you can check to see if we're aware of any issues on our status checker or pop us your postcode across in your reply. We'll then take a look for you.