Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Apple Watch support?

Edstamford
1: Seeker

Any news yet on support for Apple Watch 3 cellular?

9 REPLIES 9

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

I would be amazed if Vodafone supports e-sims in the near or medium term future. The Apple website continues to show EE as the only UK networks that supports the watch.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

I have it pretty good authority that it will be series 4 before any other UK airtime provider other than EE will get the Apple Watch gig.

Cast your thoughts back to the first iPhone and the deal Apple did with O2.

It's a shame... but i too have gone EE to get connected.

A1000
9: Established

Have you managed to elicit any reason or logic behind the view that it will be Apple Watch 4 before any more networks take it up? 

I have heard from somewhere it is not because of any exclusive deal but because of Vodafone UK’s outdated systems that cannot share a number between a hard sim in a iPhone and an estimated in a watch.

Frankly I would move over to EE if they were not such an awful network, at least for me.

Vodafone are living on borrowed time for me and my contracts and I am unlikely renew this time.

Robin

jeffkinn

It's not outdated systems. It's because the Apple Watch doesn't use a sim card but uses an eSim that is built into the phones internal circuits. So far only EE has introduced a service that can use eSims. Whether Vodafone has plans to support eSims at any time in the future is something we can only speculate on.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers

I can only but suggest to watch sites such as > Vodafone and coming-soon. And the blog.Vodafone

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I spoke to Vodafone business support a week or so ago as I wanted to see what they said before we sign a new contract. 

The response was that there are no plans to support the Apple Watch at this point. That may change in the future but is certainly not going to happen any time soon. 

We’re moving over to EE which is a shame as Vodafone has always been good to us. 

What I don’t understand is why Vodafone offer the e-sim in other markets but not the UK. Assume it’s how the networks operate in other parts of the world. 

jeffkinn

@road2ruin wrote:

What I don’t understand is why Vodafone offer the e-sim in other markets but not the UK. Assume it’s how the networks operate in other parts of the world. 

Each Vodafone country is a separate network and they operate independently of one another. The only thing they have in common is the brand name.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Nabs

Pure speculation by maybe some tie in with V by Vodafone will open up the Apple Watch to Vodafone users in the future