Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Be Aware

SteveCrompton
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

To anybody with an issue with their iphone, please be aware before you send it back to Vodafone.

My 'home' button stopped working properly on my iphone 4s and contacted customer services by Chat. They told me to take the phone to a Vodafone store, where they ewould sort it out. After a 30 mile journey to the store, I was told by the representative that they would have to send it off to Apple. So much for them sorting it out!

I then called Vodafone, who said that they would send a replacement, but if they found something wrong with the phone there may be a charge. Sure enough, Vodafone replaced the handset and nothing more was heard about it until I looked at my online bill to see a charge for £150. 

rang Vodafone and the representative told me the charge was because my phone was 'water damaged'! Now this appears to be Vodafones stock response to this issue, if you read all the other forums regarding the subject. I disputed this fact, because to my knowledge the phone wasn't water damaged.

I said I wasn't prepared to pay this charge, and that I wanted my original phone back. I was told that this was not possible!!! So Vodafone have charged me £150 without my consent, and didn't tell me that my phone would not be returned if I wanted it to be. I argued the point with the adviser, and asked if I could speak to her manager. I was told this was not possible, but she would arrange for a manager to call me within 48 hours. Hands tied again, what choice did I have?

The manager attempted to call me, but due to the poor coverage where I live, the calls went to answerphone. On his 3rd attempt, the 'manager' Stephen (no surname or contact number) told me that he had tried 3 times and that I would have to contact them again.

I wrote to customer services, and all they keep saying is 'water damage'!!!

I have been a customer with Vodafone for several years now, have a number of handsets and products with them, and feel really let down by this whole episode. I will not be renewing my contract with them when it is up, am still not going to pay the charge they have tried to levy, will be seeking legal advice from Which Legal, with whom I am a member, and will be actively campaigning to friends and family never to subscribe to Vodafone now or in the future.

So as I said, be aware. If you are thinking of sending your handset back to Vodafone beacause it isn't working properly, DON'T! You will be charged £150, and they will cite 'water damage' as the reason. Take the handset to an Apple Store and book a Genius appointment. They look after their customers unlike the shower that is Vodafone.

6 REPLIES 6

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Welcome to the forum SteveCrompton.

When Vodafone repair a phone, they are doing so as a 3rd Party supplier to the manufacturer.  As part of that agreement, the manufacturer lays down specific requirements and standards that Vodafone have to meet.  One of those is related to the water indicators inside of the phone. Once activated Vodafone are only allowed to make a decision of "water damage" where the manufacturer themselves could potentially be more lenient and perform a warranty repair on the grounds that there is no corrosion or damage to the phone, just the water indicators have been activated. The water indicators are sensitive and activate easily - if you take your phone from a cool to a warm environment, this potentially could form enough condensation on the inside to activate the water indicators.  Keeping your phone in your pocket while being slightly sweaty can raise the humidity levels inside the device and over time cause the inidcators to show that they have been activated.

Regarding the issues of being charged and not being able to get your phone back.  I am pretty sure one of the eForum Tech Team will want to take a look into this issue for you, so please sit tight and someone will be along as soon as they can to drop you a Private Message.

PWIAC

the water indicators on your phone probably are triggered, however they do go too easily!

It is unfair that once these are triggered they will not repair completly unrelated issues like your home screen button. 

I think that if you read all the forums, you are right in saying the water indicators are triggered too easily. BUT Vodafone use this to hide behind all the time.

Thanks. I don't hold out much hope. The Tech Team will need to be a lot better than customer services to convince me.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi SteveCrompton,

Thanks for posting and sharing your thoughts. Unfortunately, as previously mentioned, once the water indicators are triggered then we must adhere to the agreement we have with the manufacturer in not repairing the phone under warranty. When you took your phone into the store, you would have signed a repair mandate agreeing to pay for any charges as a result of the repair not being covered by the warranty.

My team will be happy to investigate the paperwork for you and to see why you didn't get a notice of the charge when you picked up the replacement phone. To do this we'll need access to your account, so would you mind following the instructions I've sent to you via Private Message? You can find your PM inbox here.

As an aside, should customers prefer to approach the manufacturer directly, you're more than welcome to book a Genius appointment via the Apple site here. :Smiling:

Cheers, Ben

This is still happening,  as a business user my iphone 5 was returned and replaced same day.. Great service

3 weeks later i have  received an invoice for £190 as they say my enclosure was damaged. this is not the case. My phone was in perfect condition and it was only the battery life that i was having problems with.

Vodafone say i have to contact unipart and they can suppy photos.

My phone was collected and driver signed that phone had no damage and was then put in a plastic bag and put in a van.  I am not surprised phones get damaged in transit and then it takes the company over 3 weeks to then bill you for this.