cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Blacklisted iPhone - mistake by Vodafone?

babyg388
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Currently in a sim only contract with the carrier Three

iphone 7 Plus purchased simfree from Apple Sept 2016 (have reciepts)

Suddenly a few days after the new year there was no service, on investigation by Three they say that the IMEI has been blacklisted by Vodafone and they cannot help no more.

Contact Vodafone, never been a customer said they can't help

Finally have someone looking into it via Vodafone Twitter customer services

Anyone have similar experiences?  what lengths, did you have to go to? what was the outcome?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For clarification.

Phones brought through apple are sim free and any sim can be used at any time

Phones brought through Carphone Warehouse do NOT lock to the first sim inserted anymore however I cannot recall when this came into effect.

As they brought the phone from Apple there is no way this should now be locked so in my opinion an unlock code should be provided for free right away as it looks to be a mistake on Vodafone's part.

View solution in original position

24 REPLIES 24

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi @babyg388 Vodafone have a great social media team here, hopefully one of them will get to your post soon and be able to offer some advice.

BandOfBrothers

Hi @babyg388

Yes there has been people who have posted with similar experiences.

Thankfully as far as im aware its a rarity that this happens. 

Im sure the team will investigate this and will soon hopefully have the phone unblacklisted. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@63johnw & @BandOfBrothers - thank you for the feedback

Hoping this will be resolved soon as its a little frustrating when you reply on the phone for work and have been sent from post to pillar a few times.

Three said talk to Apple, Apple said talk to Three, Three said talk to Apple, who then said talk to Three, who again said talk to Vodafone 

#goingroundincircles

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@babyg388 That's strange! :Hmm_Face:
Were we able to resolve everything over Twitter?
If you require any further help with this, I've sent you a private message with information on how to get in touch with our dedicated team.

@john we’ve had a little joy today, someone at Vodafone emailed to confirm it has been blacklisted by Vodafone, which Three originally told us about.  As it’s the weekend it may take till Monday. If not resolved I will use link you have sent in PM

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

@babyg388 Thank you for the update. If this hasn't been resolvd by Monday evening, don't hesitate to get in touch.

@mark

Vodafone has unblacklisted the phone now, but now have locked it to Vodafone network.  We managed to borrow a friends Vodafone sim and it works in the phone.  BUT the phone was bought SIM free!  We have been told by twitter support to buy a PAYG sim to use with the phone for a month before they can unlock it! 

1- we dont know why Vodafone Blacklisted the phone

2 - we dont know why it is now being locked to Vodafone

This is getting increasingly frustrating after about 2 weeks going round and round!

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for keeping us updated @babyg388Apologies for the length of time this has taken however I'm glad to hear your phone is no longer blacklisted.

As the phone was purchased SIM free, it will lock to the network of the first SIM that's inserted. 

When requesting for your phone to be unlocked through our request form, the number will need to be used for 30 days before requesting for your code. 

You can order a free SIM online which you'll then be able to top up in order to use the number.

Please let us know how you get on.

For clarification.

Phones brought through apple are sim free and any sim can be used at any time

Phones brought through Carphone Warehouse do NOT lock to the first sim inserted anymore however I cannot recall when this came into effect.

As they brought the phone from Apple there is no way this should now be locked so in my opinion an unlock code should be provided for free right away as it looks to be a mistake on Vodafone's part.