Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Blacklisted iPhone - mistake by Vodafone

venusbaby
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
I purchased a Vodafone Pay As You Go SIM on 12th May 2019. Soon after inserting the sim in my iPhone 6 Plus, I got the message showing "No Service". The SIM worked perfectly fine in any other phone - Apple or Android. I bought other UK network SIMs also, but got the same message. In Settings under Network, it clearly states "Phone Not Allowed". 

After repeatedly getting in touch with Vodafone (who confirmed there was no issue with the SIM) and Apple (who found no software and hardware issues), I was informed by Apple that the IMEI was blacklisted. After repeeatedly visiting Vodafone & Apple stores, putting my cell through numerous network resets and factory reset which got me locked out of own Apple ID and previous Whatsapp account and confronting Vodafone with the information about IMEi being blacklisted, I was asked to provide purchase proofs to The Vodafone Stolen Phones Department for the matter to be followed up on. Apple also informed me that only network operators can remove a blacklist as confirmed by various other UK operators. However, Vodafone's statement was completely to the contrary-

I do not understand why this IMEI has been blacklisted as I purchased an unlocked brand new iPhone 6 Plus in 2015 and have used various network SIMs in Mainland Europe, Middle Easte and South Asia successfully till I inserted the Vodafone PAYG in my cell. Vodafone UK also made me follow up with Vodafone Idea India claiming they blocked the IMEI when India has no such policy in place. This is just a short synopsis of the hoops I've been made to jump through by Vodafone UK.

How can Vodafone UK  just blacklist an IMEI and then give the customer such a round about in solving the matter. It will be almost a month since the SIM was purchased and noone is reverting or helping in getting the matter sorted. Atleast ask for proofs of purchase BEFORE blacklisting a genuinely purchased cell- would save all concerned a whole lot of trouble especially when you'll drag your feet to rectify your own mistake!!!!!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

That's certainly not good @venusbaby 

Have Vodafone UK now confirmed that they have placed the imei block in place ?

I understand Apple have stated an imei block is in place. 

A person can look at the status of their phone via a Checkmend UK Report.

Imei blocks can happen in error for a few reasons. 

i.e. 

Someone has reported their phone lost or stolen and have given the wrong imei number for their phone but unfortunately it's the right imei for your phone.

Someone has reported their phone lost or stolen and the agent has accidentally inputted the wrong imei number but unfortunately it's your phones imei.

As only the network that has added the block can remove it then it has to be them that acts.

The Vodafone Social Media Teams here no longer access accounts via the forum.

So you would need to liase with them via Vodafone Facebook Vodafone Twitter. for support.

My apologies at having to send you elsewhere to engage with Vodafone UK as I appreciate you came here , signed up and created a post to reach out for help but the Team here can no longer help with Account based issues.

But it's the same Social Media Teams here that help and assist via Facebook and Twitter.

Things have changed as they have decided that help and assistance with account based issues would be best supported that way.

I appreciate not everyone wants to use Social Media however it takes but a few moments to create a Twitter or Facebook account and then can be forgotten if necessary. Just a thought.

Please remember to include the link to your forum post, along with your username.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers

That's certainly not good @venusbaby 

Have Vodafone UK now confirmed that they have placed the imei block in place ?

I understand Apple have stated an imei block is in place. 

A person can look at the status of their phone via a Checkmend UK Report.

Imei blocks can happen in error for a few reasons. 

i.e. 

Someone has reported their phone lost or stolen and have given the wrong imei number for their phone but unfortunately it's the right imei for your phone.

Someone has reported their phone lost or stolen and the agent has accidentally inputted the wrong imei number but unfortunately it's your phones imei.

As only the network that has added the block can remove it then it has to be them that acts.

The Vodafone Social Media Teams here no longer access accounts via the forum.

So you would need to liase with them via Vodafone Facebook Vodafone Twitter. for support.

My apologies at having to send you elsewhere to engage with Vodafone UK as I appreciate you came here , signed up and created a post to reach out for help but the Team here can no longer help with Account based issues.

But it's the same Social Media Teams here that help and assist via Facebook and Twitter.

Things have changed as they have decided that help and assistance with account based issues would be best supported that way.

I appreciate not everyone wants to use Social Media however it takes but a few moments to create a Twitter or Facebook account and then can be forgotten if necessary. Just a thought.

Please remember to include the link to your forum post, along with your username.

Current Phone  >

Thank you BandofBrothers for directing me. I have tried engaging with Vodafone UK on FB  but am yet to hear from them!! I'd say typical of them going by my experience so far.

Their chat and call centre forums blatantly deny there is any blacklist in place and their Stolen Phones Email Dept states I am not the customer to request un-blaklisting and they did not open the proof of purchase!!!!

And now the Vodafone executive claims manufacturer i.e. APPLE has bocked the IMEI despite it being common sense that only network operators do it. And this despite me telling him that APPLE has confirmed that they cannot block IMEIs at all. He just kept ranting.

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @venusbaby 

That's very true that only a network can apply an imei block.

The Team on Vodafone maybe busy and I'm sure they'll get to your post via Facebook to try and help resolve this for you. 

Current Phone  >

I really wouldn't hold my breath or cross fingers @BandofBrothers :Worried_Face:

@BandofBrothers... no revert from the FB team AT ALL...... this is so frustrating. Any one can please help?!!

BandOfBrothers

It's the Vodafone Social Media Teams on Facebook and Twitter that are here monitoring the forum however they no longer are able to help via the forum. 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @venusbaby 

The first thing to do is to try restoring the phone to itunes.

If you are able to use the phone in Europe, Middle East and Asia, the most likely reason is the phone has been blacklisted in the UK before sale overseas. The blacklisting UK data base is shared by all networks, try an alternative UK network in the phone, this will confirm if the phone has been blocked in the UK.

You probably have enough evidence, to take the phone back to the point of purchase in India and demanding an explanation as to why your iphone has been blacklisted for UK use.

As you are a Vodafone india customer as has already been explained to you, you will need to contact your service provider, Vodafone India for further help with this.

Hi AnnS,

My initial post clearly stated everythin I've done in this past month including itunes restore, factory restore etc.

I also stated that India has no laws in place for blacklisting IMEIs and despite this I also got confirmation from them to this effect.

The cell was purchased in Saudi Arabia - probably the first place in the world to not be in custody of stolen goods!!! I also stated, I HAVE BOUGHT other  UK SIMS (3, EE, Lebara, Lyca & Voxi) and all state No Service when inserted into the iPhone clearly indicating an IMEI blacklist.

All of this has already been hashed out repeatedly with Vodafone UK. As far am I am concerned, Vodafone UK only believes in customer harassment and passing the buck off as it's mission statement!! I do not see anythin else to the contrary.

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@venusbaby I'm really sorry to hear what's happened with the blacklist of your device, I appreciate how frustrating your experience must have been so far. As you've mentioned you've contacted us on Facebook already, as soon as a member of our team gets around to your message, we'll be sure to assist you further.