Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband upload slows other device download speeds

Edmundo
2: Seeker

I have an issue with one of the devices on my broadband network. 

It's an iPhone 6s. Broadband speed grinds to a halt loading Twitter etc, and sometimes the browser will indicate there's no broadband connection. I then tend to switch to mobile data, as it works better, however I have a monthly allowance, so this isn't really a long term solution.

I had exactly the same problem with my Galaxy Note 3. It started on that phone after I reset my router, and was fixed when I reset again at the same time as changing the frequency to 2.4ghz only (the same as the router I had before the Vodafone one). I don't know whether the reset fixed it or the frequency change.

I now only experience slow down and drop outs on the iPhone. I have 2 tablets, a smart TV box, and two laptops - none of these have dropped out at all.

5 REPLIES 5

Edmundo

I forgot to mention that this all started when we switched from Sky broadband to Vodafone. All devices worked fine before.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Certainly sounds like the phone does not want to play nicely with the Vodafone Connect Router. 

Have you tried forgetting the Network in the phones WiFi Settings. 

Perhaps splitting the frequencies in your Router to 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and choosing each one to see if things improve. 

Another option could be to use your own 3rd party router. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I haven't tried it, but I'm told a third party router won't work with Vodafone broadband - something to do with the speed being controlled at router level.

The iPhone is better at 5ghz, but still gets significantly poorer speeds than other devices. 

I also tried renaming the network - i had named it the same as the previous router, and most devices including the iPhone treated it as the same network. I thought maybe the iPhone had retained settings from the old network that had now changed. It didn't make any difference to performance.

I'm reasonably sure now this is down to the 2.4ghz/5ghz setting. The iPhone has been fine on 5ghz for weeks, but I discovered my daughter's tablet doesn't support it, so switched to 2.4/5ghz and the iPhone keeps slowing down again.

Is the iPhone attempting to switch frequencies on the fly? Do they do that? 

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@Edmundo You could try splitting the SSID, you can then connect different devices to which ever channel they work best on. 

Changing Wi-Fi Channels – Split SSID

You can do this by logging into your router menu:

- Go to vodafone.connect or 192.168.1.1

- Enter the password - vodafone

- In the top right, change this mode to expert mode

- Go to the Wi-Fi tab

- Scroll down and click on split SSID

- You’ll then see the two options, one for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, in each section, you’ll see the SSID name – we’d recommend changing the name to have a 2 and a 5 at the start, as you’ll then be able to identify which is which on your device.

- Hit apply

Changing Wi-Fi Channels

- In the Wi-Fi tab, go to settings from the left menu

- Here you can change the channel of the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz channels from Auto.

- We’d recommend either 1,6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz
- Run a speedtest before you change the channel and then another afterwards, as you’ll then be able to see any difference it’s made.

Please let us know how you get on and don't hesitate to pop back if you have any further questions 👍