Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can't process unlock for iPHONE

maxeaton
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

hi.

i have given my daughter my iphone5 to use with another network sim and bundle.

We completed the form for the unlock and received an email saying Vodafone can't process the unlock. (no other explanation or help provided).

why?

The phone was in my name as a monthly contract and paid off, account closed and transfered number to virgin sim.

We currently have 2 business phone contracts with vodafone - under Swordfish Business Analysis ltd.

regards.

max.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Sometimes issues can exist if the iPhone has not been used on the Vodafone UK Network for a while or if the iPhone has ever been replaced by an Insurance company or Apple. 

You could speak with Customer service on 191 who can look into this for you and can if necessary supply you with an email address to contact the Nuc Unlocking Department. 

Other than that one final option would be to pick up a Vodafone Payg SIM card and use it in the iPhone making calls etc for at least 30 days and then request the unlock using the new Payg details. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers

Sometimes issues can exist if the iPhone has not been used on the Vodafone UK Network for a while or if the iPhone has ever been replaced by an Insurance company or Apple. 

You could speak with Customer service on 191 who can look into this for you and can if necessary supply you with an email address to contact the Nuc Unlocking Department. 

Other than that one final option would be to pick up a Vodafone Payg SIM card and use it in the iPhone making calls etc for at least 30 days and then request the unlock using the new Payg details. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I am unsure if this is possible but if you please look at my recent post and any advise would be amazing. It is a long story and you will see what I mean

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@maxeaton If you require further assistance after following the advice provided by @BandOfBrothers, please check your private message inbox with further instructions on how to get in touch.

@dhopkins789 I've taken a look at your previous post, are you still having issues after following the information provided by @BandOfBrothers?
If your request for a NUC has been rejected, you’ll need to check if you meet the following requirements: 
•    The phone hasn’t been reported lost or stolen.
•    You haven’t requested more than 3 unlock codes in the last 12 months.
•    You’ve used a Vodafone SIM for longer than 30 days.
•    Your previous 3 bills are paid and up-to-date you’re a Pay monthly or business customer.

You can find more information on why you might be facing some issue's on our NUC FAQs

Is it necessary to make calls etc., if toeing the line and ordering a Vodafone PAYG SIM for those Vodafone customers who ordered via a third-party, such as Carphone Warehouse?

I suppose my question is, if I put the PAYG SIM in and activate it, then remove it and replace with my Vodafone Pay Monthly SIM, will I qualify for the free unlocking service 30 days later?

If it is necessary to keep the PAYG SIM in, and make calls (requiring a top up - and odd explanations to people when you call them from an 'unknown' number) the policy is at odds with that detailed on Ofcom's website; the unlocking process will not, therefore, be free-of-charge.

I would be interested to know whether Vodafone will refund customers the cost of their Pay Monthly SIM contract for the duration they are unable to use it?

I remain perplexed as to why a PAYG SIM would do something the current Pay Monthly SIM cannot...

If the requirements are as follows:
•    The phone hasn’t been reported lost or stolen. - No, neither lost or stolen.
•    You haven’t requested more than 3 unlock codes in the last 12 months. - No, I have never before requested an unlock code.
•    You’ve used a Vodafone SIM for longer than 30 days. - My Pay Monthly SIM is red and has the Vodafone logo on it.  It has been in my phone, having never been removed for the past 24-months (save for putting a Vodafone PAYG SIM in for 5 minutes two days ago).
•    Your previous 3 bills are paid and up-to-date you’re a Pay monthly or business customer. - I have always been up-to-date with my bills.

Why won't Vodafone unlock my iPhone?

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@hudtek We advise that a SIM needs to be connected to our Network for 30 days, to avoid potential fraud. 

Therefore, registering a Pay as you go SIM and then swapping back to your Pay monthly SIM, may not work as required. 

Without looking into someones account, it's difficult to say why a network unlock code (NUC) request would fail. We'll always be happy to help with these queries though, to make sure you get your NUC as quickly as possible. 

Alternatively, you can find more in our FAQ's

I've also replied to your thread regarding this here

I think the point is, if I were committing fraud (i.e. I'd stolen an iPhone), I'd pay US$59.00 (£42) to have it unlocked in the USA - no questions asked.  All Vodafone's policy does is make it more expensive for customers to leave.

I only wanted to unlock my phone so that I could swap between personal and work SIM cards and therefore would only need one phone.  But now, I'm thinking about cancelling my Vodafone contract and starting again, elsewhere.  Forcing customers to use PAYG SIM cards for 30-days, at their own expense and detriment, does not sit comfortably with me and I think this ought to be looked into by the regulator. 

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@hudtek Have you followed the information provided to you by Colleen on your other post?
Once you've completed the steps provided, we'll be able to get everything sorted for you :Smiling:

@Colleen,

I feel that it is important to note, for other users, that you haven't actually answered my questions; you have simply repeated what we all already know is Vodafone policy.

I am sure that Vodafone customers would be interested to know why their existing Pay Monthly SIMs don't transfer details of their iPhone's IEMI number, but your PAYG SIMs do.  To my mind, it sounds very suspiciously like a financial penalty for customers thinking about leaving.  Let's call a spade, a spade.