Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can't receive phone calls and texts from certain people

Eizzil5
2: Seeker
Hi,

For the last couple of weeks I have not been able to receive phone calls and texts messages from certain people. Every time they call me it goes straight to voicemail even though I have full reception. I have reset my phone to factory settings and updated the software but nothing seems to work. I have no contacts blocked either. My brother is on Lebara and is able to call me, my mum is on Virgin and is not able to call or text, and a friend on Vodafone is able to call me. I can receive iMessages but not text messages. This is really frustrating as I've only had my phone a month and I am missing out on important phone calls and texts. Can someone please offer any advice? Would really appreciate it.
7 REPLIES 7

Eizzil5
My phone is an iPhone 6

GojuSuzi
16: Advanced member
Two things to try:

1. Call ##002#
That'll cancel any diverts set up (including voicemail, so you'll need to re-enable that by calling 1211 once you're sure it did/didn't make a difference).

2. Call *#105#
Look through the gibberish it sends back for 2 or 3 date/time stamps. If any of these are more than a couple of hours old, go into your Settings, find your Carrier/Network Operators option, turn Automatic off, select a non-VF option from the list, then when it either gives you an error or connects with no service, select Vodafone from the list, wait for it to connect then restart the phone.
Call *#105# again and make sure those date/time stamps have refreshed.
If they haven't, you may need a new SIM (they're effectively a naked chip glued to plastic, so unsurprisingly they can fail for no good reason); if they have, see if the issue persists or not.

GojuSuzi
Also worth checking the old faithfuls: update software if there's any update available; ensure the entry in MyNumber matches your real number; check if there's any new apps, especially dialers, call catchers, or messaging based apps, that you can uninstall and see if it magically clears up; and if possible try the SIM in a different phone to see if the issue persists there.

Eizzil5
Hi,

I tried all the things you have suggested but it hasn't worked. I will try someone else's phone, but I don't think it will be that. People can receive my texts, but I can't receive theirs. And then I can call numbers but some can't call me... I don't think the sim is faulty if I can make calls. I updated the software when I did the factory reset so I am so confused what it could be. Thanks for your suggestions though. Not sure what else to do

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Eizzil5

If you can try a different phone it'll at least rule that out as an issue. 

So we can investigate further, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Thanks, 

Kay

Hi, I have now had the same issue for 4 days, however I use my phone for work purposes and have had a lot of trouble, Vodaphone are no help, they just send new sims out and tell you to change them.

Did you have any luck resolving this issue?

thanks

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with calls and texts @yousafmahmood.

Please try the following and keep us updated with your results:

• Test your SIM card in another phone.
  • Ensure any call diverts on your phone are switched off by dialling ##002# and selecting 'Send'.
  • Switch the phone off, remove your SIM card from your phone, then switch the phone on without the SIM. Turn the phone off again, insert your SIM back in your phone, then switch it on.

Let us know how you get on.