main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

iOS

I was tricked into buying a blacklisted phone, can it be unblacklisted?

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
2: Seeker

I had tried to purchase a phone from gumtree for my mothers birthday a few months back (around April),

like most people i couldnt afford a brand new one so had resorted to buying one from a private seller via gumtree.

they had told me that the phone was in the process of being unlocked to any network and this would take no more than 2 weeks.

being the naive soul that i am i waited the 2 weeks, didnt work, waited another week just to be sure, still didnt work. contacted the seller at this point with the only number i had for him (the one from the ad) and it never rang. straight to voicemail each time.

so my next thought was to sign up to a vodaphone plan, which we did (12m contract), once we had went thru the hassle of getting everything switched over we put the SIM in and lone behold...still didnt work.

took into the apple shop and they said to take it to the vodaphone shop.

took it to the vodaphone shop and was told to take it to the apple shop!

explained the situation to vodaphone advisor who then done an IMEI check and told me the phone was blacklisted.

apperently a common con with these fraudsters is to get a new phone on a contact then pretend it didnt arrive and sell the soon to be blacklisted phone for a hefty profit.

vodaphone advisor told me there is no way they can access the information for the person who took the contract out and my only option was to file a police report as they were not willing to help any further. i had hoped the advisor may have esclated the matter to show that vodafone were at least willing to TRY and help but iv learned not to expect much from the big companies that dont have a legal obligation to help. 

if i filed a police report would vodafone unblacklist the phone eventually? realistically i expect the police would do almost nothing other than file the report and take the phone as evidence for an indefinite period. im sure they have far better things to do than investigate a case of my stupidity and naivety.

anyway, im £450 down, we had to take a new contract with different company just to get my mum her iphone, 

i still have the texts between me and the fraudster,

will anyone be able to help me? 

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
17: Community Champion

Oh my goodness me - I'm very sorry to hear this.

I can't see any way that Vodafone or anyone will unblacklist the phone for you as you are not the legal owner. It isn't your phone and Vodafone will never tell you who the owner was because of data confidentiality rules.

Your are stuck between the proverbial rock and the hard place. It's a very tough life lesson and I fear you will never recover the money.

Sorry and good luck

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
4 REPLIES 4

Unfortunately as soon as the person reported the phone lost or stolen then the phone becomes blacklisted and the property of the insurance company as they've paid out on the policy. 

Vodafone UK can't get involved. 

A network would only lift a blacklist tag for the original owner who reported it. 

You could see if the selling site can help and or PayPal or however you paid for it. 

Unfortunately such instances do happen which is why I'll only buy from.highstreet retailers such as cex as one example. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Hi @liamd96

Not sure how you expect the network to help, unfortunately, this is going to be between you and the fraudster.  When you were sold the phone it was probably already a stolen device and you had someone else's property in your hands. Phones are not blacklisted without a valid reason and you would have no idea how this seller came to get hold of this phone and the circumstances of how it was stolen.

When you purchase a second hand phone from an online site such as Gumtreee,  this is one of the risk you take and you will need to put it down to a bad experience and only purchase from a reputable source.

View more options

Oh my goodness me - I'm very sorry to hear this.

I can't see any way that Vodafone or anyone will unblacklist the phone for you as you are not the legal owner. It isn't your phone and Vodafone will never tell you who the owner was because of data confidentiality rules.

Your are stuck between the proverbial rock and the hard place. It's a very tough life lesson and I fear you will never recover the money.

Sorry and good luck

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
4: Newbie

It might be a last ditch attempt, but try searching the number you have for the fraudulent seller on facebook. If that is their main number and they used it to sign up on their profile, their profile will pop up. You then have a face and a name to give to the police. Not saying it will work but most people use their number to register to facebook and its an easy way to find someone. Either way if the police won't do anything you can post it on social media and they might own up and give you your money back if it means their family or employers might find out. 

I wish you the best of luck. 

View more options