Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile data won't turn on

HollyavT
3: Seeker
Hi hope you can help. I'm currently abroad and am using wifi when connecting to the internet. However, before I left the UK, I contacted Vodafone & set up "euro traveller" on my phone.

My phone has been on "airplane" mode, however, I turned it off airplane mode and turned "mobile data" on. I didn't select "Data roaming" (I know I would need to select this to use the internet." I turned "mobile data" off, and now I cannot even turn mobile data on if I needed to.. The option has gone completely grey. It won't let me select "mobile" option in my settings so cannot access it to turn "mobile data" on or "data roaming" on.

I've reset my Network settings and that doesn't work. If I switch my phone off, and back on it allows me to turn mobile data on, but when I turn mobile data off it goes completely grey again and won't let me turn it on.

Please help

🙂
3 REPLIES 3

Retired-Matt_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi HollyavT,

Please attempt a hard reset of your iPhone. You can do this by holding the home and power buttons down together for around 15 seconds.

It won't delete any data on your phone, just helps tidy the software up. 

Thanks,

Matt B

HollyavT
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply. I reset the phone as you suggested. When it came back on, I turned airplane mode off, and selected mobile data. I didn't turn data roaming on As I'm using wifi. I can still select the mobile data option now, so I presume this will still be the case? Previously, I would turn mobile data off and then put airplane mode back on, Would it not have worked because I had airplane mode on? I'm not sure. All I want to avoid is being charged for anything, (due to possibly going over on my internet bill) hence why I had airplane mode on. However I do permanently have mobile data off and wifi on whilst abroad so I trust this is okay?

Thanks

Hi HollyavT,

That's right if Airplane mode is on you won't have the option to enable mobile data.

That's fine as long as you have mobile data turned off and use Wi-Fi whilst abroad, you won't be charged.

Thanks,

Matt B