Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile shows 4G signal but no internet access

docrox22
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

My iphone 6s suddenly stopped accessing internet using my data package.  The phone shows full signal with 4G and I've checked and there's not a network issue.  

I've phoned 191 and followed their advice - rebooted my phone, reset network settings, reinstalled the APN profile - but still doesn't work.  I went into a vodafone store but all they could suggest was a new SIM card.  That hasn't helped.

Weirdly it happened 30mins after I had to phone 191 to make sure I didn't lose my entertainment pack.  Not sure if the call assistant has done something to my account settings by mistake but they look ok when I check the vodafone app.

Has anyone got any ideas?  I'm pulling my hair out!!

Thanks 🙂

79 REPLIES 79

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Charleigh369 Just advising them of what you've explained then is fine. We can help over Live Chat, by dialling 191 or us accessing your account. Have you spoken to anyone about your 4G yet?

TK333
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Yes I'm still having the issue despite numerous assurances it would have been resolved by now. Very frustrated indeed...to summarise:

08/11: I applied for free 1gb data by texting 'DATA' to 97888. Received a message saying this had been applied and when I next tried to use the internet/WhatsApp etc (off wifi) it wouldn't work.

10/11: Called 191 who checked my home postcode & said there was planned maintenance locally which was probably what was disrupting my service - I advised I had been to 3 other postcode areas & had the same issue. They suggested a SIM swap.

11/11: SIM swap completed at a Vodafone store - I was not advised about completing activation online by completing a form (found this out on google) but regardless...

12/11: Still no service off wifi. Went to another Vodafone store who completed a further SIM swap since the first one hadn't been 'validated' (?). They tried my SIM in their phone (I have already tried in old iPhone) & concluded phone & SIM both fine, the problem was with my account so I would need to call 191 again so they could 'refresh' something.
Called 191 and spent 40 mins talking to tech team who tried various things e.g. data refresh, advised me to check mobile data settings etc (I had already done all of this!) - still not working. At 6pm the adviser told me his shift had ended and his cab was waiting (?!!) so I was passed onto another adviser and told to say they needed to "check an open order" on my account.
I was put through to the adviser who had no background details so I had to explain the issue from scratch yet again. After being kept on hold he said he had "completed the open order form to refresh data" & all would be resolved within 1 hour after switching phone off & on again. I asked if he could explain the issue, he said "it was our (Vodafone's) error". Would only give me his first name for my reference.
After 1 hour - still not working.

13/11: Called 191 again, was this time advised there was an "order in progress" which had been escalated but would be resolved by 2:25pm i.e. 24 hours after the last SIM swap. I said this was nothing to do with my SIM card - adviser seemed certain it was despite me explaining all of the above. She sent me new APN settings to install - explained I had done all this to no avail. She insisted all would be sorted by 2:25pm.

14/11: All is not sorted! Still have the same issue with no server connection & unable to connect to internet, use what's app etc when off wifi.

This is incredibly frustrating, not least because I've been told several times that all will be sorted within an hour etc and this just hasn't happened - I'm starting to feel these advisers are saying anything just to get me off the phone so someone else can deal with this another day. And being passed on to another adviser because someone needs to "go home" is dire customer service! The second time this year I have had terrible customer service from Vodafone.

I am sure by accepting the free 1gb my account settings have been affected somehow (not dissimilar to @docrox22) but whatever it is please can this be resolved asap? I also feel some compensation would be appropriate given the time and effort I have spent and the inconvenience (plus I have lost a week's service which I pay for).

I'd be grateful for an update, thanks.

Will
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @TK333

Thanks for bringing this to us. I've sent you a PM with our contact details, once you've filled it in, we'll be in touch as soon as possible.

I appear to be having the same problem.  Agreed upgrade on Friday and account was updated, no issue on existing phone.  Had my account updated on Monday due to dispute so moved from 6gb tariff to 10Gb tariff with entertainment pack.  Phone had arrived so swapped SIM and no internet.  Phoned 191 who changed APN details, but still nothing.  Went back to old phone and still nothing.

Getting full 4G signal in areas that I know are working.

Can someone look at my price plan to see if the same thing has happened when the tariff was updated on Monday?  Was already pretty annoyed about this whole upgrade process before this.  How long is the cooling off period?  Seriously considering going elsewhere. 😞

Had copied vodafone in via email and someone has been in touch.

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mupwangle

I've sent you a private message with details on how to contact us, please follow the instructions on the link and we'll be in touch.

Thanks Carly, however I'd already spoken to the social media team and forwarded them the link to this forum post.  They escalated it to the "back-end" team and the next day it suddenly started working.

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mupwangle

Thanks for getting back to us, I'm glad it's now working.

If you need anything in the future, please let us know.

Folks - having same issue:

responded to txt to remove cap on international roaming. Got Correct txt saying cap removed but cannot access internet since. 

Phone is iPhone 6s 

mother sim works in this phone so not the phone.

made 10+ calls to Vodafone from Manilla, Singapore and now Sydney. Have re-entered web / internet settings, turned roaming on off, rebooted phone, changed off Vodafone network and back etc but no dice.

assune it's highly likely that it's an issue on the plan somewhere as the above folks are seeing.

so far today I've been transferred, to dead lines, phoned multiple times for less than 2 seconds, been on the automatic call back system and then when called back waited 20 minutes with hold music...

i soend 200-300 a month on this phone and I have a team of 10 internationally travelling sales people using your phones. Right now I'm not rating your service here.

being stick out in Asia on the street in Manilla and not able to call an Uber is not cool when the advice from locals is only to use uber / grab for security reasons.....

i look forward to soneone sorting this out..

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with your data @Traveller380.

So we can take a closer look into this, I've sent you a private message with details to contact our team directly.

We'll then be in touch to help as soon as possible.