cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

More unexplained data useage - look and laugh!

Walshy76
2: Seeker

Ok, had my Iphone 4 since end of January and already issues with rediculous amounts of unexplained data being used to the extent where apparently, 551mb data was used in a 24 hour period! I've been into a vodafone store, and seen a 'genius', nobody can explain apart from the standard scripted questions around apps working in the background, large emails and I must be streaming video! None of this is the case, especially when, according to Vodafone, my phone was using data every minute and a half on the day that the huge amounts of data were being used. Luckily enough, even with the 551mb day I didn't exceed my monthly 750mb allowance, but whats going to happen if this continues? Will Vodafone hammer me for the excess useage?

Anyone else had anything similar? Can a moderator offer a sensible explanation? The below info is taken from my most recent bill.

Date & timeNumber or descriptionMore details
Tue 25 Jan 00:00WAP229.654KB
Thu 27 Jan 00:00WAP6.382MB
Fri 28 Jan 00:00WAP5.340MB
Sat 29 Jan 00:00WAP1.190MB
Sun 30 Jan 00:00WAP1.188MB
Mon 31 Jan 00:00WAP6.879MB
Tue 1 Feb 00:00WAP1.619MB
Wed 2 Feb 00:00WAP2.814MB
Thu 3 Feb 00:00WAP2.880MB
Fri 4 Feb 00:00WAP4.248MB
Sat 5 Feb 00:00WAP8.144MB
Sun 6 Feb 00:00WAP6.403MB
Mon 7 Feb 00:00WAP2.420MB
Tue 8 Feb 00:00WAP2.627MB

Wed 9 Feb 00:00WAP42.953MB
Thu 10 Feb 00:00WAP972.173KB
Fri 11 Feb 00:00WAP789.359KB
Sat 12 Feb 00:00WAP14.142MB
Sun 13 Feb 00:00WAP14.414MB
Mon 14 Feb 00:00WAP727.282KB
Tue 15 Feb 00:00WAP16.662MB
Wed 16 Feb 00:00WAP5.862MB
Thu 17 Feb 00:00WAP30.231MB
Fri 18 Feb 00:00WAP2.502MB
Sat 19 Feb 00:00WAP551.215MB

27 REPLIES 27

Jebelious
16: Advanced member

A couple of things, i am using the 3gs and have not noticed this yet (may go and take a look tho). A couple of things really i would make sure that applications are not open in the background taking up data while you are sleeping as this would certainly be the main thing that i could see as being the issue.

Other than that i know WP7 people were having issues with IMAP with Yahoo! mail, or your phone could constantly be checking all the time for other email accounts too.

So: What apps do you use that require a data connection?

Do you have many email accounts linked?

If i have helped please feel free to click on the Thumbs Up below

Jebelious
Ok so i have gone back and checked my 2 numbers, it would seem that the my account site is grouping your daily data charges into one for the whole day so the day where you have downloaded 500meg you may have downloaded an album perhaps off iTunes via the handset?

I have done this before and it allows you to download the tracks as they are individual downloads no more than perhaps 12meg per song.. so it may be worth checking all the activity you did in that particular day.

Hey Jebelious,

Yes your right, the daily useage is grouped into one bill entry for the entire day and appears with a 'midnight' time stamp. Just to confirm I have no 'rogue' apps, I have never downloaded anything from itunes via my phone and hardly use the email - even if I did I think +500mb in a 24 hour period is pretty extreme! The only app I use on a regular basis is facebook so maybe that has a bug in it somewhere.

If I have to keep my push and data switched off it kind of defeats the object of having a smartphone,

Next steps will be to do a backup and restore as new iphone and then monitor the useagae daily to try and pin point anything weird!

Jebelious
Is very strange indeed, i have had a similar incident as i said i downloaded a clubland album (i know :p) although it was over 50 tracks at 10 meg+ each and i happily downloaded away.

But for 500meg to appear, i would monitor what you are doing just to ensure there is no buggy app downloading without you realising. If you watch tv etc or stream make sure the apps are closed fully.

I dont think it would be anything else really as Vodafone have done literally nothing to the devices other than have their operator settings installed so it has to be a third party application or site that is causing this data usage.

Apps i can think of that drain alot of data are:

Skype (over 3g)
Chat programs left on may cause alot of upload/download data
TV Catchup site i think after an hour of viewing not too long back i managed to download over 400MB
Youtube - The data hog!!
Downloading apps and music from iTunes and App Store

Worth monitoring what you are doing if it has happened once you may want to check what is happening on your device all the time.

Hi guys,

Jebelious has come up with a good little list of things to be aware of there. You'd be surprised how many people don't realise that Twitter, Facebook and Email use data!

As is mentioned, we only provide our operator settings with the iPhone - there is nothing else added to the handset or changed in any way, so in one way or another the phone has been requesting and receiving data.

There are a few ways you can check to minimise data use:

- Push notifications, geotagging and refreshes: Scroll to the bottom of the main settings menu and you'll see a list of some of the apps you have installed. Each of these when clicked will load individual settings for that app, and any that use push notification or custom refresh rates will have these defined here. The Facebook app, for example, includes "Shake to reload" and "Push notifications" as options. Disabling anything like this on these apps will prevent them from using data behind the scenes. You can also switch off notifications as a whole via Settings > Notifications.

- Disable tethering unless in use: By switching off tethering, you'll ensure that your computer will not mistaken a standard USB connection for sync or charging as a data connection. You'll see these charges as ACCINT rather than WAP. You can disable this under Settings > General > Network

- Use your computer or Wi-Fi for iPod and AppStore purchases where possible: purchase downloads and updates can use large amounts of data, so if you wait to use Wi-Fi or your PC for these, you prevent them from hammering your usage.

- You can back up and restore the device in order to remove any minor glitches which may be causing issues.

- Switch off Cellular Data: You can disable this from your handset under Settings > Network or, if you want to go a step further, we can bar GPRS on your device to prevent all internet connectivity except Wi-Fi, although this has the obvious downside that you'd need to contact us whenever you wanted this on.

- Be aware what uses the most data: by taking a look at what you're using when and comparing it with your usage, either via My Account, your itemised invoice or the My Vodafone app, you can get a picture of what uses the most. Strong contenders here will be YouTube, streaming, frequently used chat/social networking apps or sites, VOIP and GPS/Geotagging if used frequently.

We cannot guarantee that third party apps are bug-free, but if you see that your usage has risen since installing one, you may wish to look at any settings which may be over-using the data, or maybe uninstall for a few days and see if that makes a difference.

Dave

eForum Team

STEVIEG662

Hi Newbie, I have just seen your post after trawling the net and finding the American equivalent, which is exactly the same. I have had my phone 2 weeks and I have already used over 650mb (my contract is 500mb so I am now paying extra). My "extra usage" happened in one foul swoop and with the odd  3000kb here and there. But the main was from 23 Feb 2303 hrs through to 24 Feb 0502 hrs every 90 seconds or so and used my whole allowance of 500mb (whilst I was in bed sound asleep).Customer service over the phone fobbed me off and said I should go instore - so duly did and told exactly like you - "...must have left apps running" and ".....been on facebook or twitter" or ".....streaming videos or watching tv" - all of which are not the case. The guy instoretold me to monitor ovwer the weekend then if still not happy go back and he will phone through to someone.  In the meantime I have turned my internet connection off and deleted my email app and only use apps if in wi-fi zone - so far so good but then whats the point of having a super duper ifone that you can't use for internet etc. WATCH THIS SPACE.

Sorry about my last post I was replying and addressed you as Newbie when it is actually Walshy - sorry mate.

I have posted my experience elsewhere on this matter but it sounds exactly the same.I have had exactly the same high data usage when phone "not in use" VF said its my apps, apple said its VF's problem! I too have disabled all notifications etc, disable mobile network when I dont need it & only use wifi for connection. But I feel the same as STEVIEG662, whats the point of having cutting edge tech when your too afraid to use it. I may aswell have stuck with my iPod touch & beat up samsung for a phone!!!!!

Hi further to my previous blog - I have just been into the VF store and they were all baffled. They then phoned Customer Services who have agreed to recalculate my account (hopefully that means they will delete the " unknown usage" and re-umburse me the extra I have to pay. They then could not explain further so put the Shop Assistant through to "Tech Section" - initially they said it must be me streaming etc etc but after Shop guy explained they said that it may be fault with the Iphone itself. Firstly they suggested I went onto my itunes and backed everything up then do a complete restore. Secondly monitor it over the next few days...............so I have now done a complete restore and will wait and see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!