Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New setting in IOS 14 causes WIFI problems - solution

timf-sim
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi there,

I've posted this in the broadband board as well just in case. There is a new setting in IOS 14 called 'Private address', which is enabled by default. This is a good security feature which masks your iphone's MAC address. However, it is a problem if you have MAC filtering enabled on your router, because there is no static MAC address to authenticate. If you have both of these enabled, you will get an error message like 'Unable to connect to network' when you try to connect to wifi with your iphone.

The solution to this is to disable MAC filtering in your router. Your phone should then connect properly as normal. Once connected, tap your wifi name to enter the settings page, and disable the 'Private address' setting. Once you've done this, you can switch MAC filtering back on in your router settings.

Alternatively, you can leave MAC filtering off in your router settings, and keep Private address enabled.

Hope this helps

4 REPLIES 4

chistery
16: Advanced member

The better solution is just to disable private address on your iPhone under the SSID settings, then it's still enabled when you are on public wifi but not at home. You don't need to log into your router at all.

I see what you're saying, but the settings for the SSID are not available until you're actually connected to the network. So I had to disable MAC filtering in order to get connected, and then you can disable private address and re-enable MAC filtering.

chistery

You can edit any SSID on your iPhone as long as wifi is enabled, it doesn't need to be connected.

mac filtering is not a great way to secure your network, so hopefully most rely on decent encryption instead.

I'm not suggesting MAC filtering is a substitute for decent encryption. It is an additional layer of security though.