Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No Service

wretched26
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I wanted to use my existing Vodafone business sim with my wife's old iPhone which was previously on O2.

My work said this was fine "just swap the sim over, people do it all the time"

iPhone unlocked.

Wouldn't work with Vodafone business sim.

Wouldn't work with a friend's existing personal Vodafone sim

Phone DID work with EE, O2 and "3" sims

Phoned Vodafone and couldn't speak to me unless I got myself a personal sim

Ordered PAYG sim online and this wouldn't work either

Phoned Vodafone and they advised phone was blacklisted and I should return to original provider for reason.

Contacted O2, phone NOT blacklisted. Advised I check with Apple.

Phoned Apple, phone NOT blacklisted. Went though iTunes set up and return to factory settings etc with operator plus upgrade to latest software. Still can't connect to Vodafone.

Went back to Vodafone who now said phone NOT blacklisted but maybe locked to another network and that I should phone other networks (what all of them !?!?) to sort out this Vodafone problem.

Why is Vodafone blocking this phone ??? What can I do to sort this out ??? If I was not limited to Vodafone for my business account I would have just gone elsewhere by now.

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @wretched26 

How was the iPhone originally unlocked may I ask ?

The reason I'm asking is if the iPhone wasn't unlocked by o2 via Apple but instead by an unlocking online solution or a Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock iPhones this can cause issues as they are software forcing the unlock.

Ultimately as Vodafone didn't supply the iPhone they can only provide limited support if it won't accept their sim card I'm afraid.

They have no reason to intentionally block a certain phone. As you mention people swap sims around regularly nowadays if the phone is unlocked to all networks.

It does sound like something has gone wrong when it was originally unlocked to all networks as you mention it will accept some networks sim cards but not your Vodafone sim.

I see you've engaged with Apple too.

Sadly you may just have to let this one go and use another phone and perhaps sell that one if no one wants to use it on the networks it will accept.

Just my opinion and I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for the response @BandOFBrothers, although obviously this isn't what I wanted to hear !!

You are right it was a high street unlock, but when we contacted O2 they said they did an unlock too (as they couldn't see one had been requested before !!). This may support your theory that there was something wrong with the unlock although why it only seems to affect one netwrok I don't know.

I'm no expert on this stuff, but surely the phone doesn't "block" the network, it's the network that is not allowing the phone access. Isn't that right ? So I don't understand why some Vodafone tech support can't get to the bottom of it.

If my assertion above is wrong, is it worth going back to Apple to see if they can "fix" the phone ?

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @wretched26 

I have come across where when a Highstreet Store forces the unlock this can mean it can cause issues which is usually meaning it would never work on the host network again i.e o2 but in your case it seems this has affected the iPhone possibly stopping a Vodafone sim card working in it.

It's the iPhone and it's software or carrier software that's stopping the Vodafone sim card from working in my opinion.

Have you tried hooking upto iTunes and update the carrier settings  ?

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad.

Vodafone wouldn't be doing anything to block things.

I realise this isn't what you wanted to hear so sorry about that :Sad_face:  but Vodafone wouldn't be able to support/ deeply investigate / use resources as to why an iPhone thats been supplied by another network won't work on their network.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks again @BandOf Brothers for taking the time to respond.

I have tried resets and hooking up to iTunes guided by Apple themselves etc.

I will give your suggestions another try and go back to Apple to if I need.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for your time, much appreciated.