cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Other networks (EE e.g.) compensating for late phones...why not Vodafone?

oceanborn82
2: Seeker

So I'm no idiot, yes I know many of us who pre-ordered/ordered early are sick of waiting.  However to find out from 4 of my friends who have contracts with other networks, that due to the network not managing supply and demand well enough and not informing those who ordered very early on about delays, they have received compensation. The two friends on EE got all devices on their account free for a month (both had 3 devices on account.)

So I took this knowledge and called vodafone only to be shot down. 

Yes I get Apple once again did not make enough units, however it is also a networks responsibility to manage the supply/demand and inform correctly. 

I was told not to pre-order the phone by a service advisor, saying I have been with vodafone over 10 years, their may be release day deals. When I ordered the morning of device release, I was told new phones never have a long service deal or anything like that.. So ##~## off before I even ordered. When I did order I was not advised of any delays and got a confirmation text message that my phone would be with me on the next working day.

Great I thought... then started the "sorry about that, we'll update you in 10 days time" nonsense - which by the way is more than 10 days without any more notice.

I've been loyal to vodafone for so many years with three devices on my account. I'm paying for the upgraded plan for a phone I don't have. Why are others receiving compensation and I was told "tough luck" (not the exact words but may as well have been) when I called for asking for equal treatment to other networks?

Moderator note: Post edited, please refer to our Community Guidelines.

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @oceanborn82

Totally appreciate the frustration this has caused. 

I've been involved in iPhone launches from the iPhone 4 onwards. I used to buy mine direct from Apple and still had delays. 

My my assumption is that the network puts in a request for an initial sum of units followed by an agreed amount of follow on deliveries. 

In my opinion the Networks should only take pre orders for the amount of units Apple have agreed to supply initially. I also understand that the networks will probably want to take as many orders as possible.

Each Network I assume would treat each persons situation on a case by case scenario. 

What one network customer service team offers is down to them and does not mean another network will match it I'm afraid. 

I have read previous posts where people have been offered various forms of a goodwill gesture. Maybe ringing back to speak to a different frontline agent may yield better results. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

oceanborn82

Thanks for the reply. I get it I really do, having worked years in retail myself I can't bring myself to be harsh to the advisors as I know they are as annoyed.

Just frustrating to hear of other networks doing that bit more to keep their customers happy that's all.

You're welcome.  :Smiling:

Same kind of background as me perhaps. I've spend time in retail too from shop floor to Customer service manager. Also a very short stint in the company's call centre. 

Personally I look at many network forums to get a handle on what's going on as I am Payg and so do use other networks too.

The other network forum boards can paint a different picture from account holders. People not receiving what's been agreed etc. 

What I try to focus on is Apples extraordinary skill on creating buzz and hype when on a Keynote, and then launch their new iPhone(s) and iOS which then goes onto pre orders etc and the inevitable delays , slipped despatch dates etc.

One would think after this happening over and over again they would further up their game in regards to the amount of units they churn out.

And that the Networks take pre orders for the amount of units only that has been agreed upon.

Easier said than done.   All we see as consumers is the front end and not the wheels turning in the background to get deals done and shipments fulfilled. 

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I think Lee you're missing the point of the customers frustrations. I've seen a few posts where you chime in with the usual "It's all Apple".

If I ordered with Apple at the time I ordered with Vodafone I would have my phone right now. Not only that I would have had a clear and concise delivery schedule. How do I know this? I ordered the apple watch and I've ordered ipads from them. I did the work orders from Apple. The device I have requested I have seen delievered from apple (3 times all ordered later than I did - in some cases 2 weeks later) and then I've seen contract phones with Jet Black 7's come in less time from other networks AND one person where I work ordered a 7 Jet black last week and has recieved it before me. From another network. 

The complaints are valid. Apple after x amount of time/units moves your shipping estimate to whatever where as vodafone just kept saying "You'll get it on day of release". AND THEN made you jump through hoops to cancel. That is the issue. And that has nothing to do with Apple.

I think you need to wait until you have your phone before ringing up for compensation. Once you have your device you have 30 days to cancel the contract for no change - Vodafone certainly won't want a second hand iphone given back to them so leverage that against them.

I'm expecting significant compensation or they are just going to get the phone sent back and lose lots of money.

Yeah fair do but the frustration is the other networks I know of from friends are compensating when they, like us, are still waiting for handsets.

I think Vodafone gave a bit too much away initially in compensation, there were people on this forum saying they got £300+ compensation. 

I rang on the 16th and managed to get 25% off my line rental - the only reason i am sat here waiting.