main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

iOS

Problems getting Vodaphone to Unlock my iPhone6

2: Seeker

After reading some posts on here, I find a common theme that Vodaphone really don't want to make it easy for people to get their phones unlocked when moving to another provider!!  I am literally at the end of my tether with their incompetence and awkwardness.  I filled in an online form for my NUC code on 10th August and on 4th September when changeover to my new provider came, I realised that they had not unlocked my phone.  Now after numerous calls and hours wasted going round in circles, today I was told that my phone had finally been unlocked.  I performed a system restore that took over three hours, only to find that they lied to me and my phone actually isn't unlocked, therefore wasting even more time.  I am furious with them and wonder  who else has had this problem and if so, how did you get your phone unlocked?  I am unable to use my iPhone now and am losing business, but nobody at Vodaphone is interested in helping me - I just keep being fobbed off by them saying it is with the Resolution Department and will happen within the next few days.  I feel like they are going out of their way to be as unhelpful as they possibly can!!!  

View more options
9 REPLIES 9
17: Community Champion

In my experience @Frustr8td an iPhone does not typically need to be restored to complete the process to unlock.

Inserting the other Networks active SIM card does this.

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting an unlock code but instead is unlocked via Apple and their Database.
 Vodafone would email you to confirm it's been requested after accepting your unlock request. (Check Spam Inboxes too)
Apple then can take occasionally approximately up to 30 working days sometimes to complete an unlock request made by a Network.
Periodically insert an active Non-Vodafone Sim Card in the iPhone and hook up to iTunes.
From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process.

If after that timeframe it's still not accepting your other Networks SIM card then you'll need to speak with Customer Services who will pass this onto their NUC Unlocking Department. 

I totally understand the frustration this must be causing and the inconvenience of not being able to use the iPhone.

I assume your new contract with the other Network didn't include a phone ?

In the interim Can you not borrow a family members / friends / work colleagues unused phone in the interim so your not losing business ?

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Hi,  thanks for your post!   When I put the new SIM in last night (after doing the 4 hour restore) my iPhone wouldn't recognise it and I also spoke to Apple who said that my phone hadn't been unlocked by Vodaphone.  I rang Vodaphone again today and they still insist my phone has been unlocked, despite me not receiving any email or confirmation from them, so I am stuck really.  I have moved to Sky on a SIM only deal to use with my original iPhone6, but am beginning to think that I'm never going to get the phone unlocked or the situation resolved after four weeks of constant phone calls and emails.  I really am exasperated and so disappointed with Vodaphone ...

View more options
17: Community Champion

Ok. 

Taking into consideration your still quite close to the 30 working days it can take I'd give it a few more days. 

Don't be tempted to fill out too many unlocking requests as Vodafones systems can highlight that as a possible fraud issue. 

Just to clarify. 

Vodafone once they have accepted your unlocking request email you to confirm. 

Then they contact Apple to ask them to release the iPhone from the lock. 

Vodafone have no direct access to Apple's Database to do this- only Apple. 

When you spoke to Apple all they'll see from it's serial number is it status of being locked. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options
Highlighted

Ok thanks.  I feel like I am going in complete circles, being passed from pillar to post and never going to get it unlocked 😩

View more options

@Frustr8td If you need any further assistance after this time, please let us know and we'll be more than happy to help 

View more options

After spending most of today on the phone to Vodafone, I am still going in circles and getting increasingly frustrated with them!!  They insist my iPhone is unlocked as that's what is showing on their system, however, I went into the Apple shop who ran a diagnostic on it and said it definitely isnt unlocked and they see this problem a lot.  I already knew it wasn't unlocked as I have now done three factory resets on the phone and it still refuses to recognise the new SIM card inside.  I am so angry with Vodafone and their unwillingness to help - this could go on for years - me calling and explaining the phone is still locked and them saying that it's unlocked!  It's absolutely outrageous and now some 5 weeks later since I first requested the unlock code ... 

View more options

Thanks for updating us @Frustr8td.

I'm sorry to hear your phone is still locked - I've sent you a private message with details to contact our team so we can assist you further.

View more options
1: Seeker

Yes I’ve had the same problem Vodaphone say it’s unlocked and they’ve emailed me to confirm but when I put a different SIM it shows no service! 

View more options

@AliBoo61 When inserting the non-Vodafone SIM into your phone, do any messages pop up to say that your phone is locked? This should appear as  'SIM Not Supported' if the phone is still locked.

With unlocking an iPhone, you'd need to resync the phone to iTunes or do a software restore to complete the process. If this has been done and no messages appear to say your non-Vodafone SIM isn't supported, we'd advise speaking with your new provider. Do you have a different SIM that you could test this with, such as a relative or friend who's with a non-Vodafone provider?

View more options