Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problems getting an unlock code

Adelejamiesonx
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I got a new Iphone and transferred my number from my old iPhone to my new one. Now I want to unlock my old Iphones network so I can sell it. The NUC forum wouldn’t work and I was emailed to say that my IMBE number doesn’t match the one on my account which I assume is because my account is with the new Iphone I have. How do I unlock my old phone if technically I don’t have a phone number for it?

12 REPLIES 12

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

All you should need to do is fill out the unlocking Nuc form which is on the Left hand side of the forum page under Quick Links. 

Use your original current number and account info.

It should not matter that youve upgraded. The original iPhone's imei number will be on file. Im assuming there hasn't been a period of time that youve not hsed it on Vodafone and it was originally supplied by Vodafone and either Apple or an Insurance company hasn't swapped it out under the manufacturing warranty?

Customer Services on 191 or Live Chat can help with this too. 

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting an unlocking code like other phone makes are, but instead is unlocked remotely via Apple and their Database.

The Vodafone Network typically lets a person know it's unlocking has been requested to Apple after accepting your online unlock request. (Please Check Spam Inboxes too)

The iPhone isn't actually unlocked at this stage. Apple then process the Networks request and occasionally this can take approximately up to 30 days sometimes to complete an unlock request made by a Network. Please Periodically insert an active Alternative Networks Sim Card in the iPhone and hooking up to iTunes is only typically needed if its an iPhone 4 or older.

When it's unlocked you should see a pop up message and the alternatives Networks name will show in the iPhone's status bar. From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@Adelejamiesonx - We can check your account and then re-request it for you.

Please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message. ☺️

This is a test post; whenever I make a post regarding an inability to unlock my iPhone 6s, the post is immediately deleted.

BandOfBrothers

@hudtek

If you tap on your name your live posts should show there. 

After a while through forum housekeeping dormant posts and threads can be moved to archive

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for your reply @BandofBrothers

The problem with the message I am trying to post is that it seems to be accepted, but then immediately disappears.  As far as I know, the content doesn't break any forum rules.  The only thing I can think of is that it's reasonably lengthy (approx. 550 words), though I have tried to post in two equal-size parts to bypass any word limits.

I'll keep trying...

Hello,

Like many others, I have been having difficulty obtaining a NUC for my Apple iPhone 6s.

I have been on contract with Vodafone for the past two years.  However, when I request a NUC using the online form, I receive an E-mail back stating "Unfortunately, we can’t do this until your SIM has been active in your phone for at least 30 days.  This is a measure we’ve put in place to help prevent fraud."  I am pleased to see measures to combat fraud, however it is deeply frustrating that such measures are punitive towards honest customers, innocently trying to unlock their phones.

For clarity; I purchased my iPhone 6s on a Vodafone contract, via a website called Mobiles (Carphone Warehouse).  I didn't think anything of it, assuming that a Vodafone contract is a Vodafone contract and Mobiles was, for all intent and purpose, an introducer.  However, when I contacted Vodafone, the operator said I would need to contact Mobiles in order for them to unlock the phone.  I dutifully contacted Mobiles, who [you know what's coming, right?] said: 'It is Vodafone who have to unlock it because it is their network the phone is locked to'.

Okay...so, Vodafone has been taking my money each month for the past two years, and presumably Mobiles received a fee from Vodafone for the introduction.  But now I want to exercise my right to unlock the phone from the network, neither company seems able (or willing) to assist.

Like many of you will have done before me; I proceeded to do as much digging around as I could and the only alternative solution I have found is to order a PAYG SIM card from Vodafone and replace it with my contract SIM card.

My issue now is: I don't want to replace my pay monthly SIM with the PAYG SIM because I can't afford to miss calls, or start swapping numbers and things.  I also don't want to have to wait 30 days before I can resubmit the request, for it then to take a further (up to) 10 days.  Plus, hang on, I'm still paying for my monthly contract.  It seems like an unnecessarily complex way to attempt to combat fraud and it is too detrimental to honest, law-abiding, customers.  Indeed, it seems to be making customers rather angry.  Is this really the best anti-fraud policy Vodafone could come up with?  Why wouldn't a replacement pay monthly SIM do the same job as the PAYG SIM and inform Vodafone of my iPhone's necessaries so that they may request the code from Apple?  This would negate the need for messing about with PAYG top-ups, and worrying about missing calls and texts (which, let's face it, seems to have been designed to improve profit, not customer service).  Even this isn't the perfect solution, because it would still be necessary for customers to wait up to 40 days for their phones to be unlocked.

So, why can't I provide proof of my identity and a copy of the orginal invoice/order confirmation from Mobiles, confirming that I am the legal owner of an iPhone 6s?  You could take this and submit the request to Apple within, say, 48 hours and everybody would be much happier...

Could you try with ebay route to see if they can unlock the phone for you?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xvodafone+ip...

Thanks for the tip @Daleski75.

The problem with going down that route (the same as the online unlocking websites) is:

1). The eBay unlocking services all seem to set out the same criteria as Vodafone (i.e. 30 days use on the network - which is fine for those who purchased their phone/contract via the Vodafone website or a Vodafone highstreet store - everyone else is essentially financially penalised for requesting an iPhone unlock);

2). The eBay unlocking services are offered by people who simply complete the NUC request form on the customer's behalf (which, we all know, is free); so after 48-hours, they will E-mail stating that they cannot unlock the iPhone.  Some will offer a refund, but others, who have access, will then ask for anything up to £90 to submit the request directly to Apple.

As far as I was aware, I have been a Vodafone customer for two years and so I ought to be able to unlock the phone, which I believed to have been supplied - or at least, financed - by Vodafone, without further cost or hindrance.

Would others agree?

I do agree you have been a customer for 2 years so they should unlock the phone for you so you can choose to use it on other networks if you so wish.