Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Series 4 Apple Watch Cellular doesn’t work

Nsjmurray
4: Newbie

So, in typical Vodafone fashion they have come out with a new feature and product that doesn’t work at launch - in-fact it does several unannounced and unauthorised credit checks.

So I received my brand new iPhone and Apple Watch today and I have to admit, they look fantastic, after opening the iPhone box and just seeing the magnificence that is the phone I am definitely happy with my purchase.

I open up the oddly packaged watch box and start to set it up, everything is fine except for when I got to the mobile data setup section- at first it looked promising a Vodafone log-in screen, “Awesome” I thought, so I logged in and all of a sudden it was asking me to add a subscription for £5 per month.. I thought this was strange as I was already paying for the watch now you’re trying to charge me more for a subscription, I knew it seems to be a mistake so I just glanced at the terms, it seemed normal just about linking them together so it made sense, I went ahead and clicked add subscription knowing that I would just call Vodafone and explain the situation if they tried to charge me more.

Anyway, it shows me a loading screen and I’m simply waiting for it to complete the link between my devices.

After a short while it went to a blank white screen and then... what’s this... I HAVE FAILED A CREDIT CHECK AND I HAVENT BEEN CHARGED?!?!?

So not only did it fail.. Vodafone has performed a credit check, without authorisation just to link it to my existing plan that I was already credit checked on?

Good one Vodafone, will be returning the watch and the device and leaving the network for good, this is the final straw, I’ve had nothing but trouble with you for 7 years and I’ve stuck by you, but you just cannot get anything right first time, EVER.

wondering if anyone else had this happen to them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nsjmurray
4: Newbie

Hi everyone,

OP here, I can’t believe this issue is still effecting some people, I get emails almost daily about updates for this, it’s crazy to think it still hasn’t been sorted for everyone.

i can now finally say all of my issues are resolved and everything is working fine, you have to be persistent and contact the directors team, standard help from the tech team does not work.

Contact Nick Jeffries team and hopefully you will get I resolved like I did.

View solution in original position

1,336 REPLIES 1,336

Good luck! Vodafone have had terrible management at the top for 5 or 6 years now, hence their decline and resultant poor public ratings. I thought I would give them another go, didn't work out well! They need:. 1. A new compassionate CEO, current one is lacking any sense of customer service. 2. All new website, modern, dynamic, responsive, reliable. 3. New data network, currently slower than all others. 4. UK call centre with English speaking educated staff. I know plenty who could do with the work. 5. Accurate specified activation dates/periods, not BS.

Contact the CEO’s office by email, it worked for me after 4 weeks of the watch not working. The call centre staff are all nuggets! 

Will do thanks

I'm sorry to see you've had such a delay pairing your Apple Watches @trevwealthall and @DesignCounts. As we'll need access to your accounts to look into this, please get in touch by following the instructons in the private message I've sent each of you.

I just thought I would add my experience here, which is similar to that of many posters.

My first call to request that my watch (which I already owned prior to signing with Vf) be synched seemed straightforward - the lady took my EID, said to turn off my watch for 45 mins and then it’d all work. And.... nothing. 6 calls, each lasting 30-45 mins later and still..... nothing.

The issue as others report is that the order to create OneNumber - the process that links phone sim and watch e/sim, is ‘on-hold’ in their system. It is clear to me that 191 reps have no idea how to overcome the issue, and the basic level of training they’ve had is pretty rubbish - at least 3 have asked if I have had a SIM card in the post. And the tech support team seem not much better - they at least seem to understand that nothing will work until the OneNumber process is pushed through, but seem unable to make that happen, and so instead resort to cancelling the order and asking another team (the ‘new sales’ team?) to request another order.  

The upshot is that on numerous occasions I’ve been told that I just need to wait 24 hours at most and it’ll be sorted. I’ve currently got somone in tech support saying they are personally overseeing the latest attempt to push the order request through, though I’m not holding my breath. 

The only positive is that everyone I have spoken to (at length...) has been very nice and cordial, but frankly that is scant consolation for what amounts to pretty terrible customer service.

The way I see it, either VF have a fundamental technical issue with the service, and are stringing along their customers while they try and sort it out; or they’ve failed to train their staff sufficiently to activate the service or manage customer’s expectations about how long it will take. 

Thankfully i’m within the 30 days of my contract (I only came to VF from o2 so I could make use of the cellular option!) so if they don’t sort it soon I will cancel and go to EE. 

Ben

The funny thing is suddenly there is no new posts on any topics about Apple Watch on that forum. And now I’m not sure - they solved something or people just gave up with that. Today is my 51st day of waiting for this activation and to be honest even letter to CEO didn’t change anything. 

Hi , I think most of us with these watches are just fed up , I’ve been told hundreds of times by lots of different tec team , customer relations that they are sorting it , I’ve reset the watch that many times as they keep saying that , been promising compensation, call backs that never happen, mine has been going on since October 2nd and still no data and I am past the 30 day and got a watch that does not do what I pay for , they should not sell them if they can’t pair them with our phones ..its getting ridiculous now isn’t it ..rant over 

Hi all

i thought I would update on my (now resolved) case, in the event it’s helpful for others.

After getting nowhere with 191 or tech support I emailed the CEO and got a call the next day. The lady I spoke with was very helpful and very open and honest about the issues I raised. 

In short, the reason why my OneNumber request was on hold was because the staff hadn’t ticked the box that would enable my number to accept a secondary product. She ticked that box and low and behold it instantly went through and my watch was linked up. (My advice to others would be to ask customer services at the outset to ensure they’ve done this....)

As to the wider point. In my email I explained that tech issues were one thing but it was frustrating that no one in customer services seemed to know how to resolve the issues we are having, either 191 or tech support. The lady acknowledged that more could be done and said they were going to produce a guide for customer services. Apparently there are synching probs that are not as straightforward as mine was, but 191 really should be able to overcome the basic hiccoughs, and tech support the more difficult ones....

So from my perspective I’m happy it’s sorted, and pleased with the support I eventually got, but the overall picture hardly covers VF in glory. I guess the temptation to go live ASAP with a service that most competitors don’t have was just too great....

Brilliant. I've sent it aleardy to vodafone with screenshot of this message. As i see now moderators and administrator of this forum are tight-lipped - no one said a word about our issue. Same situation with DIRECTOR OFFICE (or maybe they just call it like that to make call centre more serious?).

53rd day now...

I’ll tell them to try that next time they phone me which is again after another 5 day wait , thanks