Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Support for eSIM in the iPhone Xs?

jayguevara
4: Newbie

Hi, 

Anyone know if vodafone will support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs? I know that vodafone has joined EE in supporting eSIMs in the Apple Watch 4, however there doesn't seem to be any information on whether that is the case with the new iPhone Xs. 

I travel a lot and would make my life so much easier if Vodafone did support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs! 

310 REPLIES 310

Are you sure? I don't recall ever seeing Vodafone UK listed as an eSIM partner, during the presentation, and after.

I’m positive.  It’s what prompted me to go ahead and order the XS.  Then they quietly had their name removed. 

Just want vodafone to give some timescale.  If too long I’m going to cancel and go to EE! 

Here's the launch video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcfO6cIyjKg

At 24:17 is a slide showing Vodafone supporting eSIM however no countries were listed, it wasn't Vodafone UK. The Apple eSIM support page has never listed Vodafone UK

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209096

@starbuduksjs wrote:

I’m positive.  It’s what prompted me to go ahead and order the XS.  Then they quietly had their name removed. 

Just want vodafone to give some timescale.  If too long I’m going to cancel and go to EE! 

Yes Vodafone were listed but never with a country assigned to it. They have gone live in Germany and Spain so not incorrect.  Then on the website Vodafone were never listed under the UK. 

Do please correct me if I'm wrong, but I would have thought that Vodafone are ready to support the eSIM in the iPhone XS, XS Max and XR, seeing that they already support it on the Apple Watch. I am under the impression that an eSIM in the watch and on the phone would be the same? So if they support the watch, they should have the network ready for the phones too?

Perhaps they are holding out on eSIM support as its a business decision rather than a tech hurdle.......

@jayguevara wrote:

Do please correct me if I'm wrong, but I would have thought that Vodafone are ready to support the eSIM in the iPhone XS, XS Max and XR, seeing that they already support it on the Apple Watch. I am under the impression that an eSIM in the watch and on the phone would be the same? So if they support the watch, they should have the network ready for the phones too?

Perhaps they are holding out on eSIM support as its a business decision rather than a tech hurdle.......

The technology is technically the same the implementation is different. The esim for the watch has the same phone number as your phone and so is an extension of the line. It doesn’t have all the same features as the esim of the phone would need. 

Adding an an esim plan is also different. With the watch you register the EID. With the esim you either scan a QR code or enter server details which then registers your esim with the network. 

Not to mention the issues people have had getting watch plans to work

voda will release esim support when they are ready

I do agree that the technology may be slightly different but can’t be that much

Plus they are doing it in Spain and Germany, now don’t tell me there is a difference when it comes to languages? 

Definately a commerical decision as it it will stop people like me having 2 phones from them, revenue lost

People will have less phones but they will have more lines

lines/contracts is where they make money NOT handsets

They may not make as much money on phones but still a revenue there