Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Support for eSIM in the iPhone Xs?

jayguevara
4: Newbie

Hi, 

Anyone know if vodafone will support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs? I know that vodafone has joined EE in supporting eSIMs in the Apple Watch 4, however there doesn't seem to be any information on whether that is the case with the new iPhone Xs. 

I travel a lot and would make my life so much easier if Vodafone did support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs! 

310 REPLIES 310

@starbuduk wrote:

I agree.  This is ridiculous from Vodafone.  I bought the XS specifically for this purpose as they said Vodafone would support.

Who did, when? No one has said Vodafone UK would support it. 

@baz1536

Who did, when? No one has said Vodafone UK would support it. 

I bought the iPhone XR based solely on the fact that the Apple Store salesperson said that eSIMS are supported by 2 carriers already (Vodafone and EE). 

This was from the Apple Store in Kingston Upon Thames yesterday.

Upon returning home, I contacted Vodafone support last night, thinking that the activation of the eSIM was a formality, only to be told that it is only supported on the Apple Watch.

How frustrating.

Apple have a great returns policy at least.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JUSTIN_LAWRENCE I'm sorry to see you've been given incorrect information in an Apple Store. We're continuing to work with Apple to bring this feature to our customers in the future 🤞

Well that’s interesting and it may not just be the network that governs esim access. 

Apple has had just released 12.1.1. I have been running the beta since it was released however on final release today on the support not it says dual sim with esim support for additional carriers. So maybe Apple have to role out updates as well to bring new carriers in to the fold. 

or this could be just the fixes they have had to make to bring the US carriers onboard

catean
10: Established
10: Established

Probably they only enabled the carriers marked as "* Coming later this year" in this link : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209096

@catean wrote:

Probably they only enabled the carriers marked as "* Coming later this year" in this link : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209096

That’s my thought. I know there are issues in the US with 2G on Verizon and various issues with T Mobile. This probably fixes that. 

When the best information on the eSim feature that was a major persuasive feature in me buying an xs is “in the future” and it’s a world player (Vodafone) saying it, I begin to doubt my loyalty to this brand. 

Please explain: 

1. The reason for no implementation and 

2. A date for availability 

thank you. 

@RobCo wrote:

When the best information on the eSim feature that was a major persuasive feature in me buying an xs is “in the future” and it’s a world player (Vodafone) saying it, I begin to doubt my loyalty to this brand. 

Please explain: 

1. The reason for no implementation and 

2. A date for availability 

thank you. 

Probably 1 because it’s not ready yet and Apple may have only chosen to work with EE initially like with the watch and 2 they probably don’t have one yet. 

I am a newbie here.  I’m fed up with carrying two mobiles. Is there no end in sight for me and all iOS users who have tried the android system (deceptively simple) but who prefer iOS.