Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Support for eSIM in the iPhone Xs?

jayguevara
4: Newbie

Hi, 

Anyone know if vodafone will support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs? I know that vodafone has joined EE in supporting eSIMs in the Apple Watch 4, however there doesn't seem to be any information on whether that is the case with the new iPhone Xs. 

I travel a lot and would make my life so much easier if Vodafone did support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs! 

310 REPLIES 310

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

If you need it now, move to EE. 

I doubt we'll see it from Vodafone before next years iPhone release.

I agree - it's infuriating. I changed from Vodafone to EE to use the cellular watch and back again when Vodafone supported it on the release of the series 4. Now it looks like I need to switch to EE again to get dual sim capability on the phone!

Hi

i spoke to Vodafone in November and they told me it would be available at the end of November

catean
10: Established

Can you speak with them again ? Every time I chat with one of them online they tell me to go in stores and if I have a postpaid plan then they will activate one for me. I am abroad and can't do that until next year.

Reality is that nobody is Vodafone has a clue what they’re doing or what they’re on about.  Sooner I can ditch them the better!!! 

Reality is this HAS NOT launched on Vodafone and no date has been given by the network except to watch the Coming Soon.  O2 and 3 have both said "sometime in 2019" I would say its the same with Vodafone.

The next round of carriers may not be added until iOS 12.2 when they continue to iron out all the issues being encountered so far.  I think Apple are going to have to make it compataible with iMessage on both line and choosing to be able to make a call for the same contact from either line by choice.

I jumped from BT Mobile to Vodafone on the off chance they would be next to get it but nothing was ever confirmed by anyone with any real knowledge.  I am pretty sure they will make a big announcement when it is available.  At the moment there are far too many restrictions and bugs to make me want to use it.  I do want it though as I want to put my work SIM in my phone but with the issues stay away (I am an iOS beta tester so always on the beta train but the eSIM beta train is one too much which I feel it is at the moment)  Wait till Apple and the Beta networks get it right.

I realise this might be a longshot, but it would really help clear things up if someone from the Vodafone tech team would post something on this forum or on the coming soon page. 

I'm sure a lot of Vodafone customers would like some further information, for example, has Vodafone begun testing eSIM's on its network? If so, how far along the technical process has it reached? Just to give an analogy, when Apple releases its new iOS software at the developer conference, it is usually a Beta, and then over the coming months new Beta versions come out so people have some idea how far along the software development has reached. Granted Apple usually has a soft deadline when the new iPhones launch in September, but this doesn't have to be the case with eSIM's and Vodafone at least folks, like myself, will be happy to see the progress Vodafone is making towards eSIM launch. 

Again I realise this is probably a longshot, but thought I'd put it out there as you never know who might be reading this! :Smiling: 

eSIM tehnology is already implemented on the Vodafone network from the moment the Apple Watch with cellular has been introduced. I don't understand what stopped them from enabling the eSIM for other Apple devices too in UK, as they already did in Spain and Germany.

@catean wrote:

eSIM tehnology is already implemented on the Vodafone network from the moment the Apple Watch with cellular has been introduced. I don't understand what stopped them from enabling the eSIM for other Apple devices too in UK, as they already did in Spain and Germany.

Do we know it’s identical technology. One is the sim and one shares the Sim. Esim is esim but implementations are different from each other. Apple Watch you give an EID and tie to your current number. Replacement esim requires server details, authentication and a change of how to register. 

Only Germany has it. Spain is still coming soon. 

catean

Yes, eSIM in the new iPhone's is identical with the eSIM in the iPad Pro's and Apple Watches. The technology that made the watch to share the same number as the iPhone's is not due to the eSIM in the apple watch, is actually a job that si done in the background by some servers and software at carrier level and is named Number Share/Number Sync or Smart number, depending on where you look. What actually happens in the background, is that you are assigned another phone number from the carrier for the wearable, but in the background the network is instructed to forward your iPhones number to the wearable (a little bit more than just plain forwarding). That is why the Apple Watch can't roam. You could actually programme the eSIM in the Apple Watch to have is own number (if you would be a techy hired by the carriers), in that way you could make it roam.