Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Support for eSIM in the iPhone Xs?

jayguevara
4: Newbie

Hi, 

Anyone know if vodafone will support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs? I know that vodafone has joined EE in supporting eSIMs in the Apple Watch 4, however there doesn't seem to be any information on whether that is the case with the new iPhone Xs. 

I travel a lot and would make my life so much easier if Vodafone did support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs! 

310 REPLIES 310

I do realise that, however if a lot of their customers feel the way I do about being kept informed, perhaps they may change their policies in the future. A long shot I know, but one will never know unless one tries! :Smiling: 

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

@jayguevara wrote:

I do realise that, however if a lot of their customers feel the way I do about being kept informed, perhaps they may change their policies in the future. A long shot I know, but one will never know unless one tries! :Smiling: 

I've been helping fellow customers on this forum for several years now and the policy has never wavered either for product launches or repairs to long term outages. Even when exasperated customers have written to MPs or involved local newspapers or TV new they've stuck rigidly to their policy of silence. Their reasoning is simple - if they give a date and then fail to meet that date for whatever reason more people will be upset than if they'd said nothing. It's a policy I've argued against many times to no avail of course. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

@jeffkinn wrote:

@jayguevara wrote:

I've been helping fellow customers on this forum for several years now and the policy has never wavered either for product launches or repairs to long term outages. Even when exasperated customers have written to MPs or involved local newspapers or TV new they've stuck rigidly to their policy of silence. Their reasoning is simple - if they give a date and then fail to meet that date for whatever reason more people will be upset than if they'd said nothing. It's a policy I've argued against many times to no avail of course. 

Thanks for the insight jeffkin, I had no idea that customers had even gotten their MPs involved! 

jeffkinn
It’s happened a couple of times when masts have been out of action for months.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Like anything invoilving Apple, Vodafone have probaly signed NDAs which even ban them from saying they are even working on it with Apple.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not launched till the next iPhone release late 2019.

I wouldn't be suprised if EE had signed an exclusivity deal with Apple which means Vodafone cannot do anything for a certain period of time.  Vodafone wouldnt be this far behind with implementing new technology I am sure.

@j_gry2003 wrote:

I wouldn't be suprised if EE had signed an exclusivity deal with Apple which means Vodafone cannot do anything for a certain period of time.  Vodafone wouldnt be this far behind with implementing new technology I am sure.

Would you know if this was the case with the Apple watch series 3? I remember EE was the only network supporting eSIM when this version was released last year. 

eSim is not Apple's property it is a specification created, regulated and controlled by the GSMA, so EE would not be able to sign an Exclusivity deal for eSim that did anything but restrict support of eSim on Apple devices to EE.

Google, Microsoft,Samsung and LG all currently produce eSim capable devices, so when eSim is available to VodaPhone they will let people know.

Since more than half the Mobile devices in the UK are NOT Apple devices, i cant believe any Operator would hamstring themselves just to please Apple.

jeffkinn

Of course they would, just as they did with earlier Apple devices and functionality. The iPhone is the flagship of all smart phones and for a network to steal a march on their rivals would be a big deal for them. The potential exclusivity is not on the generic technology but on it's implementation by Apple in a specific device. Perfectly feasible and possible. Apple like exclusive deals - in the US the iPhone was exclusive to AT&T for several years.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

I don’t believe comparing an exclusivity deal for a phone with a specific carrier to be fair when we’re talking about a feature.

Vodafone already have the technology as they’re using it with Apple Watch Cellular so not implementing  the same to iPhone sounds more like a marketing choice. Bear in mind we’re talking about the same network that withheld Wifi Calling for specific plans...so I won’t be surprised if they will wait for the next iPhone launch to use eSIM for iPhone as a gimmick to attract new customers and to make it available only to customers that bought an iPhone from them...

we’ve gotten to a point where carriers are trying to squeeze every penny out of every little feature and it’s quite unfortunate. The desperation and the pettiness is just sad.

I'm with EE and would absolutely love to move to Vodafone but the lack of eSIM for iPhone is keeping me from doing so as I do currently use my work and personal SIMs in my iPhone and I’m not moving back to carrying two phones with me