Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Support for eSIM in the iPhone Xs?

jayguevara
4: Newbie

Hi, 

Anyone know if vodafone will support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs? I know that vodafone has joined EE in supporting eSIMs in the Apple Watch 4, however there doesn't seem to be any information on whether that is the case with the new iPhone Xs. 

I travel a lot and would make my life so much easier if Vodafone did support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs! 

310 REPLIES 310

I've read that O2 plan for eSim H1 2019. Hope Vodafone aren't far behind, otherwise come my contract renewal I'm back to EE.

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@KaPOWitsCHRIS We'd be really sad to see you go if you decided to cancel and we'd love to keep you on board with us. I understand how exciting the eSIM feature is, you can keep updated with our latest releases on our Coming Soon Page

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@KaPOWitsCHRIS wrote:

I've read that O2 plan for eSim H1 2019. Hope Vodafone aren't far behind, otherwise come my contract renewal I'm back to EE.

It's not at all clear from what O2 is saying that they'll support eSims in phones as well as the Apple Watch. It'll be interestingt to see what happens.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

ok so this does look like a network rather than Apple thing.

Go to http://www.ubigi.com sign up with your email address

You will receive a QR code via email, you can then scan it and add as a Data Profile, it is data only.  

Then download the Ubigi app from the app store

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ubigi/id1375857674?mt=8

You can then add a data plan to it.  however at this point without the data plan you can see that you have a voice line and a data line available.

Ubigi are not listed on Apple's website as a supported carrier, to be fair they are piggy backing off networks around the world, in the UK it's 3.  

Image 1

Image 2

It’s disgraceful that a network that is meant to be launching 5G shortly and class themselves as the UKs leading network and also has its global head office in the UK still can’t deliver eSIM. 

Vodafone in other countries either had itnon launch day or a couple of months later 

come on Vodafone get your act together. 

Left Vodafone to EE because of eSim. Back again to Vodafone. Didn't really see the need for eSim. Never used the second line.  Maybe it's just me. 

Also I think it's not Vodafone. It's Apple. It's life the days of iPhone and O2. Not until after one year, no other network in UK will do eSim. 

@topsy75 wrote:

Left Vodafone to EE because of eSim. Back again to Vodafone. Didn't really see the need for eSim. Never used the second line.  Maybe it's just me. 

Also I think it's not Vodafone. It's Apple. It's life the days of iPhone and O2. Not until after one year, no other network in UK will do eSim. 

Can’t see why exclusivity is important to Apple. They aren’t exclusive in other countries.  US all main networks support, Spain they all support, so nothing to do with it.  It is in Apples best interest to get the feature out to customers if using it as a selling point. 

It’s not Apple. The feature is available and carriers just need to join in. It’s definitely got nothing to do with exclusivity. eSIM is not something to keep exclusive. Carriers just refuse to support it until the next iteration of iPhone just to use it as a marketing technique. I use dual sim daily. Just the fact that I don’t have to carry an extra phone with me for work is awesome plus that EE’s 4G network is always congested at peak times so it becomes useless for data so i can use my work SIM’s data while still using my EE line as a primary voice line.

Don’t believe this is a marketing move? Wait until September when it will be announced together with the new iPhone.

@torrent82 wrote:

It’s not Apple. The feature is available and carriers just need to join in. It’s definitely got nothing to do with exclusivity. eSIM is not something to keep exclusive. Carriers just refuse to support it until the next iteration of iPhone just to use it as a marketing technique. I use dual sim daily. Just the fact that I don’t have to carry an extra phone with me for work is awesome plus that EE’s 4G network is always congested at peak times so it becomes useless for data so i can use my work SIM’s data while still using my EE line as a primary voice line.

Don’t believe this is a marketing move? Wait until September when it will be announced together with the new iPhone.

I agree. This is all marketing and BS. Vodafone should have embraced at the same time they released the Apple Watch support which carries eSIM. 

If if you are a regular user of dual sim you will like the updates coming in iOS 13. iMessage and FaceTime on both sims. Data on both with a primary data and a fall back. And I think if not already there you can Wi-fi call on a line that has no network connection over the others data connection. 

Well O2 could end up taking the lead on Vodafone releasing eSIM.  They have just starting selling Apple Watch cellular which means they have caught rip to Voda and could easily overtake.