Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Support for eSIM in the iPhone Xs?

jayguevara
4: Newbie

Hi, 

Anyone know if vodafone will support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs? I know that vodafone has joined EE in supporting eSIMs in the Apple Watch 4, however there doesn't seem to be any information on whether that is the case with the new iPhone Xs. 

I travel a lot and would make my life so much easier if Vodafone did support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs! 

310 REPLIES 310

Strange that Apple have now updated their support page for supported carries and O2 are still not listed. 

the eSIM technology is the same irrelevant of handset.  It's the same QR code across brands so I don't see why this would be exclusive to Apple.  eSim is a standard set by GSMA not Apple. 

I was meaning an Apple and EE exclusive deal.

either way Vodafail clearly aren't pushing this hard. So we either sit and wait or jump ship.

im staying out simply because the deal I have currently is significantly better than I'll find elsewhere 

So Vodafone have made the following quote

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/134640-what-is-an-esim-and-how-will-it-change-connected-devi...

"Vodafone says that eSIMs will enable more connected devices simply because eSIMs don't require so much room inside a device, enabling fitness trackers or even glasses to have stand-alone 4G or 5G connectivity in a way they just weren't able to before"

well bloody deliver it then. 

Got the 11 Pro so I'm now ready for esim. Contract expires next month, so if Vodafone haven't sorted it out I'm off to EE. 

@stownrow wrote:

Got the 11 Pro so I'm now ready for esim. Contract expires next month, so if Vodafone haven't sorted it out I'm off to EE. 

I just got my get out of contract price and it's too much for me to just leave. I reckon as soon as I do they will release it lol 😂 

I personal think it's not up to Vodafone. We all know Apple's Rules concerning secrecy. Vodafone are bound never to reveal or talk about it. 
why on earth do you think Vodafone won't even say something tangible. Now O2 is up and running, others will follow.

And please, EE will increase your tariff at least twice before the end your contract. That is what they are known for. 

@topsy75 wrote:

I personal think it's not up to Vodafone. We all know Apple's Rules concerning secrecy. Vodafone are bound never to reveal or talk about it. 
why on earth do you think Vodafone won't even say something tangible. Now O2 is up and running, others will follow.

And please, EE will increase your tariff at least twice before the end your contract. That is what they are known for. 

In the past I would agree this is an Apple thing but it can't be.  GSMA ratify the eSIM standard not Apple so it doesn't matter whether you get an iPhone or a Google Pixel or whatever eSIM handset you want as long as it supports eSIM then it is the same eSIM pack. 

O2 aren't even listed as supported on Apple's website.  I would imagine because it has very little to do with Apple support. eSim is a standard just like nano sim, micro sim and mini sim. The profile you get from O2 and EE has the same style of 13 digit code for a sim swap as a normal SIM. As far as the network is concerned it is just another sim hitting the network. What is special is the way they distribute the QR codes. Same information: server, endpoint and sim number. 

What bugs me is that Vodafone already support the standard with the Apple Watch so there is absolutely no reason that they can’t support phones. 

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @stownrow 👋 We support eSIM on Apple Watch and wearable's. We're working hard with device manufacturers to be able to bring eSIM on handsets and tablets as soon as possible!