Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

The saga to upgrade to a iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Black

angeloedades
4: Newbie

Hi Guys,

Just looking to vent really - comments welcome on how I could have handled it better!

Tried to upgrade my phone to the iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Black model. First port of call was via online ugprade and it lets me choose my new phone and bundle. Entered my post code for same day pick up and can see the 2nd store closest to me had stock - great! Went through secure check out and it errors out when I confirm my name and contact number. Contacted a live agent, twitter support and 191 and told me there was no problems and it must have been my computer or my account. Since I am a technical person, I asked if there was a team who was willing to work me through the issue to find out the root cause - of course it was not possible.

Live chat agent at this stage told me to go in store the following day since there is stock (based on the check out page - saying it is available for pick up in 30 minutes). 9:30am I was outside the peckham rye store. Myself and two other people stood here for around 40 minutes whilst the three staff members had a chat or a meeting or some sort... approx 10:15, doors were opened. Lady grabed my details, asked me security questions and what I wanted to upgrade to. Went to stock room, manager comes out saying there nothing in stock, only demo iPhones have arrived. Explained that the secure check out page told me there was stock here that can be sold. Shurgged shoulders and a few seconds worth of awkward silence and I left.

Tried to place order via live chat agent around midday on OCT 1 and made sure that it was possible to have it by Monday, told me it was certainly possible - so placed the order with the phone and bundle. I had my doubts as I have had no correspondence from DPD as of 21:04 OCT 2. Called 191, agent told me, I am definitely not going to get my phone tomorrow. So I said I want to cancel the order and she said not possible. The guy on live chat who helped me on OCT 1 said someone tried to change my address on my account in the past 7 days and that is probably why I was barred from making an order or why the address bit of the secure check out page was not working. Whilst I was speaking to 191, I queried her about this but there was nothing suspicious or blocked in my account apart from the order activity on OCT 1.

Tried to approach the twitter team on some aspects of this dilemma but nothing. They are probably limited on what they can do (like most social media teams for companies) but I was hoping they would have replied on a couple of things saying to contact a specific team or tell me its a dead end.

I just want my new phone on a new bundle! Not able to accept the delivery on Tuesday so I am expecting a host of delays because of that.

What would you guys do?

35 REPLIES 35

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @angeloedades

I can't really see anything that you have carried out in error from your end. The 'glitch' that occurred at the end of your first attempt could be attributed to a number of things. 

Unfortunately as the High-street Stores do not provide their contact telephone numbers to be able to contact them directly to check stock levels (I assume as they are there primarily to deal with selling contracts, phones and accessories and could be fielding account queries if their number was visible) we are dependent on online stocking levels.

In my experience this can change very quickly. It's conceivable that when the system was showing the phone in stock and your order couldn't be completed due to the glitch someone visited the store and used the available unit(s).

The manager could have been a little more helpful by explaining what may have happened and maybe even gone onto explaining what your alternatives are. In my opinion once a person leaves a store without purchasing etc then they could be a lost sale as they may go elsewhere such as Carfone Warehouse or to another network. 

At my place of work we have a morning meeting to set out the days activities. 

Vodafone only send out tracking information via email on despatch of the phone which then indicates to the customer that the phone is on its way. Unfortunately due to the recent launch of the new iPhone 7 and 7 Plus stock can be limited on certain storage capacities, colour and model choice. 

When an order has been raised it is not possible at this time to then cancel the order unless within the 1st hour of raising said order, until its been delivered which at that point the customer can refuse delivery or arrange with customer service for a Returns Bag (recommended) A person has a 30 day cooling off period. 

I do hope this is resolved ASAP with your phone being delivered.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Raj747
6: Helper

With experience i can say that the cancellation / change of the phone is definitely a gray area. Let me tell you my experience. I wanted to shift to Matt black 256 gb 7plus from 128 gb jet black for obvious reasons. So last Friday over few chat sessions and 191 calls I managed to file a cancellation request (as I was told that cancellation is the only way possible and exchange is no option unless you wait for the model to be delivered and then you arrange for the exchange). Every hour I called them and every time I was told that it would take 3-5 working days for the total process. I didn't want to let go of the Matt black 256 gb which is in stock . However on Sunday one kind lady straight away changed to order for me with out cancellation. I even asked her how that was possible as the last 8-10 people I spoke to over 191 said it isn't. She just smiled and said it's possible.
So I am getting my phone delivered tomorrow (fingers crossed).

Thanks for the reply guys.

So on Monday - live chat told me that my phone was going to be delivered on this day. Second live chat told me it was going be until 8pm so stay put. 8pm came nothing. The reason why I got 8pm and the wrong tracking number was from the live agent

DPD finally emailed me with my tracking number, the correct one in this instance. Scheduled for delivery today, Tuesday.

I paid £10 extra to get it between 0830 and 1030 but no luck. 10:50 I called DPD who said Vodafone provided them with an incomplete address so it will be delivered tomorrow if Vodafone can get their **** in gear and do the paperwork.

I also found out the guy on the sales chat ordered the wrong phone model - not the Plus but the iPhone 7 256Gb Black.

I am so frustrated right now.

Rant over.

You're welcome and I'm not surprised your frustrated at this. 

Something I like to say is.... 

Things can sometimes go wrong which I'm sure many accept, but then it's ultimately down to how it's put right that then counts ,and instills confidence back into the product and service.

Communication is Key. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I completely agree.

I think for now, I will give myself an hour to cool down because I am scared I might do something stupid.

Once I am calm, I need to find a way! 

Raj747
Got the phone delivered this afternoon with out any hassle.
I am glad this saga has ended for me! I wish you guys all the very best and I hope you will get yours delivered soon !

Raj747
The phone is Matt black 256 plus changed from jet black 128 gb

I have let vodafone win this time around. I tried to cancel the first time today and was refused by the live chat agent. I called 191 instead and it worked!

I want to see what the ombudsman will say.

I just cannot believe how vodafone made it so hard every step of the way. I think deliberately. The sales agent definitely knew what he was doing on Saturday. Wrong phone model, wrong address and wrong delivery date.

Quick question - lady on 191 said that the phone should be back at the warehouse tomorrow from DPD (they were able tell DPD to hold it at the depot and return) and once that is confirmed I should be able to place an order tomorrow again - what are people's thoughts on this? another lie by vodafone?