Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlocking Vodaphone Account

Laurakate
3: Seeker

I have been trying to unlock my phone from the Vodaphone network and make it open to other providers and I am having a nightmare time of it.

I originally applied online at www.vodaphone.co.uk/nuc which when completed said the unlocking would happen up to ten days later. I waited and this never happened. After ten days I contacted vodaphone and was told on to seperate occassions that I had to complete the online form and so I completed it again (and again). Still nothing happened.

Fast forward 11 phonecalls to vodaphone in which I was given mutliple advice. The most recent was to contact Carphone Warehouse as they had not registered my IMEI number and as such Vodaphone could not unlock the phone as they had to send the IMEI number to Apple.

I contacted Carphone Warehouse who (quite rudely) told me this was incorrect and that it was always the service provider and all Carphone Warehouse did was sell the phone.

Back to Vodaphone who told me I was misinformed by Carphone Warehouse....back to Carphone Warehouse who, thats right...told me I was misinformed. 

I am now at a complete loss at what to do. I have provided Vodaphone (5+ times) with the IMEI number and to no avail. I have spoken to the manager at Carphone Warehouse who has reiterated the statement that they can not unlock the device. 

Vodaphone point blank refuses to let me speak to someone in more authority who isn't simply reading from a script.

What do I do now? They only logical step I see is to contact legal advice or take it to the Judge in the newspapers!!

Any help would be most welcome!!!

30 REPLIES 30

Hi,

I believe that the phone has to be used on the Vodafone U.K. Network for the required 30 days making calls etc. 

"Does the phone need to have been used on Vodafone UK?

Yes, even if you've bought your phone secondhand. For Pay as you go, you'll need to have been using your PAYG SIM in the phone for 30 days. For Pay monthly you'll need to have paid three bills on time.

Do you need to be in the UK to complete the unlock process via iTunes?

No, but the phone would need to have been used in the UK as above."

You'll be requesting an unlock using the Imei of the iPhone and the new Payg Mobile number. My thoughts is the request may not go through as you've not used it for those required 30 days on the Vodafone Uk Network. 

If you use it out of the uk then your not on the uk Network but roaming on an abroad network. 

Also just to advise you'll need roaming bars turned off on the Payg account for it to work abroad.  Link > Abroad Use.

My advice is to register the new Payg Account. 

Regarding unlocking while abroad that is possible with an iPhone because it does not unlock via inputting a code but instead by hooking up to iTunes. From the iPhone 5 onwards it's not always necessary to hook up to iTunes. A person inserts an active alternative Networks SIM card. 

Once a Nuc request form has been accepted then Vodafone would email you to confirm it's been requested after accepting your unlock request. 

Apple then can take occasionally approximately up to 30 days to complete an unlock request made by a Network.

Periodically insert an active Non-Vodafone Sim Card in the iPhone and hook up to iTunes.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

CUT THROUGH ALL THE UNHELPFUL STAFF, STOP BEING PASSED AROUND IN CIRCLES, DON'T BE TREATED AS A PIECE OF DIRT.
DEMAND TO BE DEALT WITH BY CUSTOMER RELATIONS ON 01635 33251, FORCEFULLY REQUEST THEY "MANUALLY UNLOCK" YOUR PHONE. Yes, they actually have a procedure to unlock your phone without a NUC code needed. (Note, I have an Android phone, this post my not be correct for iPhones, BUT, save time by going to the top complaints team and be forceful).
I provide this info to allow customers facing the same distress, wasted hours and bottom-level support to achieve a legal resolution with no further issues to themselves.
Heres a bit more detail to the above:
Had a similar issue trying to leave Vodafone (still ongoing). This after a year of mis-billing, contract issue (Vodafone decided to give me a new contract but then billed me nearly £500 for their inability to fix my previous contract (I cancelled my direct debit fortunately - after many hours Vodafone admitted their fault and stopped trying to take the £500 from me), and occasionally cutting off my service without any notice.
Back to the NUC issue. After many hours, complaining, passed around and eventually threats of legal routs (Ombudsman, Watchdog, Ofcom, legal representation) I may have finally been offered a completely new solution.
Spoke to Customer Relations Dept. I'm informed Vodafone will perform a "manual unlock". This will be done by Vodafone, will not require any action from me and should allow me to use my other provider's SIM card.
I suggest you skip any other form of customer support (I've spent hours doing so and just get given "wait for another 48 hours sir..." then followed by the same non-working NUC code. And the loop goes on.
I am waiting to see if this works, but I made myself very clear on the actions I'm willing to take and this appears to have had the desired effect.
One wonders why not one customer services person (Complaints Dept, Consumer Resolutions Dept, Complaints Dept, NUC "team", Technical Support, In-store staff etc) had ever offered me this option. Any why I took every conceivable threat to get someone at Vodafone to release me.
I'm naturally going to go through the Ombudsman, I'm requesting all audio recordings, all history on my file, and had resorted to making my own audio recordings of my phone calls to Vodafone in an attempt to seek a fair and just punishment / compensation etc.

Wonder if ANYONE at Vodafone will update the internal policies and begin offering all customers this option???? As future customers get the same problem, at least this post is reference (along with others Im posting to) that Vodafone altered NOTHING internally - instead deciding to continue causing issues for their customers that could be avoided very easily.

Hi @barnsley3000

I can see that we've replied to one of your other posts here

Thanks, 

Laurakate
Hi Amanda

I'm still having problems with this and would appreciate you getting in touch

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Laurakate

I've sent you a private message, please follow the link on this and we'll be in touch.

zzzzzzzzz
1: Seeker

I can do it and try for £10 for unlock 

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@zzzzzzzzz Can we help you with anything?

I've had a similar issue; I've bought an iphone 7 from CEX and want to use  non-Vodafone SIM in it.  I can't afford to not receive calls for 30-days whilst I have a PAYG SIM in it with another number so need to get it unlocked now.

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

I understand your frustration @dgfoord - we need the phone to be registered to you for at least 30 days, as part of our security measures to prove the phone is yours and help prevent fraudulent activity. 

Shomayoun
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Did you manage to get a resolution for this issue?

I have been a vodafone customer for few years.

I need to have my previous iphone 7 purchased from Carphone warehouse on a vodafone 24 month contract and swapped out once by apple unlocked.

I have  lost count of number of visits, phone calls and hours spent with Vodafone, apple, Carphone warehouse to get this resolved. everyone point to Vodafone (carrier) who needs to unlock. Vodone keep providing mixed advise.

I am stuck with a phone that is wholly owned by me but not usable because it is locked to Vodafone.

frustragting cannot even explain how I feel. 4 weeks ago we were promised this has been escalated to the NUC SMEs and the manager who we spoked with promised she will personally ensures it gets done. tonights after 1hr of conversations (really arguing to find a solution forward) we have been asked to email NUC resolution with the request and the proof of swap from apple. I am not holding my breath though since the NUC resolution auto reply says do not use the email for phone unlock requests.. urrghhh.... ANYONE ANY HELP.. 

you lost my housband as a customer last year and very likely this is my last contract with Vodafone too

@Laurakate wrote:

I have been trying to unlock my phone from the Vodaphone network and make it open to other providers and I am having a nightmare time of it.

I originally applied online at www.vodaphone.co.uk/nuc which when completed said the unlocking would happen up to ten days later. I waited and this never happened. After ten days I contacted vodaphone and was told on to seperate occassions that I had to complete the online form and so I completed it again (and again). Still nothing happened.

Fast forward 11 phonecalls to vodaphone in which I was given mutliple advice. The most recent was to contact Carphone Warehouse as they had not registered my IMEI number and as such Vodaphone could not unlock the phone as they had to send the IMEI number to Apple.

I contacted Carphone Warehouse who (quite rudely) told me this was incorrect and that it was always the service provider and all Carphone Warehouse did was sell the phone.

Back to Vodaphone who told me I was misinformed by Carphone Warehouse....back to Carphone Warehouse who, thats right...told me I was misinformed. 

I am now at a complete loss at what to do. I have provided Vodaphone (5+ times) with the IMEI number and to no avail. I have spoken to the manager at Carphone Warehouse who has reiterated the statement that they can not unlock the device. 

Vodaphone point blank refuses to let me speak to someone in more authority who isn't simply reading from a script.

What do I do now? They only logical step I see is to contact legal advice or take it to the Judge in the newspapers!!

@Laurakate wrote: