Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlocking an Iphone

LukeSMc
1: Seeker

Hello,

I have recently purchased an Iphone 5s over the internet, and I was assure that it was unlocked. I have now found out that it is actually locked to Vodafone. 

When trying to get an unlock code from the Vodafone website, I cannot procede as I am not a customer. I have tried calling customer support but it has taken me round in circles.

Any help would be much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

This question has been asked countless times - I'd recommend searching as the answer doesn't change.  Vodafone will only unlock a contract phone at the behest of the original owner.  If you aren't the original owner, you will need to contact the original owner, and they will need to request the unlocking using their details. 

If you don't know the original owner or they refuse to help, then there is no way for the phone to be unlocked.  If it wasn't advertised as locked, you may be able to return it as the item wasn't as described. 

PWIAC

Thanks for the help.

Turns out the answer did change however. Went to a vodafone store, and they unlocked it for me. Just takes a few days.

drey_p

A store can't unlock a phone.  They can send off a request only, which can be rejected.  I am not sure what they are doing as they haven't given you the correct info - only the original owner can unlock a contract phone.  Please could you post which store it is so that this can be escalated as they aren't doing things right.

I would honestly start looking at a return of the device. There are enough threads on here to back up what I have said, including when stores have tried to be "helpful" and ending up causing more anguish. 

PWIAC