Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlocking

Cait97
2: Seeker

Hi,

bought an iPhone 8 Plus from someone and it was locked to Vodafone, he’d already requested the unlock and was told it would be unlocked by the Monday just gone (20th November) it’s now nearly Friday and hasn’t been unlocked yet. Messaged the guy and he said he hasn’t received the confirmation email yet.

im just worried I’ll be waiting weeks for it to be unlocked, I need the phone in use ASAP as my old phone keeps crashing. 

I may just be over worrying as it has only been a couple days since Monday. 

Anyone else had problems like this or have any idea how long it will take? 

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi @Cait97 providing this is a genuine sale and not part of some insurance scam (sometimes people sell their phone then report it lost) there is a way you can get it unlocked. Have you tried a non Vodafone sim in the phone?

If that doesn't work you could get a Vodafone Payg sim, top it up with some credit and use on  the Vodafone network for 30 days making some calls or sending some texts then you can use the NUC form to request the unlock yourself.

63johnw

Just to add it can take 30 days for Apple to unlock the phone once Vodafone forward the request to them.

Hey, thanks for the help!

he seemed like a decent guy, worked in a phone case shop where I picked the phone up. 

I have tried a different sim in the phone and it keeps refusing it. 

I expect it’s probably apple taking their time to unlock it etc, I don’t have the money atm to be topping up credit etc but may have to do that if all else fails haha! 

Thanks for the help. I’ll wait the 30 days and then buy the sim if it still isn’t unlocked :Smiling:

BandOfBrothers

If you can perhaps try an active Vodafone Sim Card in the iPhone.

If it rejects that then you’ll know its imei blocked. 

Hope all goes ok for you. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Cait97

Hi,

i posted on here a while back about Vodafone not unlocking my IPhone 8 Plus. The guy who sold me the phone has phoned Vodafone and for whatever reason the unlocking didn’t work and they didn’t even think to let us know?

they said they’re making it their top priority to unlock my phone yet they said that over a week ago and it’s still not unlocked. It’s been over a month now since I got this phone and I’ve still not been able to use it. I do t understand what’s going wrong here?

AnnS

Hi @Cait97

You believe the seller has been able to compete the form, has phoned Vodafone and is going to sort out getting the phone unlocked?  Of course you do.

What happened when you tried the active Vodafone SIM in the phone? 

If the Vodafone SIM worked, and you have established that the phone is not IMEI blocked, all you have to do is to use it in the phone for 30 days, after which time there is nothing stopping you from completing the form in your own name and completing the unlocking process.  See below.

Unlocking your device 

I don’t have a Vodafone sim to put in the phone, I’m trying to change from Vodafone to giffgaff so all I have is a giffgaff SIM card. 

I cant really afford to be buying a Vodafone SIM card to use in it for 30 days, I’ve already spent loads on the phone itself, but I guess that’s what I’m going to have to do. 

Just wish Vodafone would get their act together and unlock it haha

Cait97

Bought an iPhone 8 Plus a month ago at least but was locked to Vodafone.

guy who I bought it from sent and unlocking request but heard nothing back for two weeks, phoned up and they said there was a problem unlocking it and they’ll try again (they didn’t think to inform us that there had been a problem!) 

that was over a week ago and have STILL not had any confirmation or anything regarding the unlock.

im getting increasingly frustrated at this as I just want to be able to use my phone, I’m going without a phone at the moment and I don’t have the money to be paying for a Vodafone sim for 30 days so I can try and unlock it myself (and they probably won’t even unlock it then either)

i just want it unlocked and usable. 

AnnS

Hi @Cait97

There is no point starting a new thread asking the same questions, you have been given your answers.

You have the phone in your possession, the SIM won't cost you a penny, you can get the PAYG SIM for free from the website here.  The only thing you will need to do is to add a small top up and make a few chargeable activities to register the IMEI to the SIM.  After 30 days use as PAYG, there will be nothing stopping you from completing the form in your own name.

Otherwise, you have no chance of ever getting the phone unlocked.