Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using Phone Purchased in the UK in Canada

MrSteveyP
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all,

I'm moving to Canada from the UK for 6 months with work and was wondering how it works with using a foreign sim card in my device. I have requested that my device be unlocked by Vodafone, so going on the assumption that is successful, would it literally be a case of taking my old sim card out and putting in the Canadian sim card with a Canadian network in?

I am using a Galaxy S7 and I am currently paying for a 24 month contract. So I wouldn't be cancelling that whislt I am away, I would simply be not using it whilst simultaneously paying for a pay monthly contract in Canada

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

Yep - that is it in a nutshell.

As long as you can get the handset unlocked, pop a canadian sim in there, reset the APN settings (so you get the new carrier's data info), and you should be good to go.

The handset "may" already be unlocked... if you know anyone else in the UK not on Vodafone, borrow their sim and see if it works :Smiling:

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

grolschuk

Yep - that is it in a nutshell.

As long as you can get the handset unlocked, pop a canadian sim in there, reset the APN settings (so you get the new carrier's data info), and you should be good to go.

The handset "may" already be unlocked... if you know anyone else in the UK not on Vodafone, borrow their sim and see if it works :Smiling:

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi

The frequencies and bands in the phone should work on the abroad network and the apn settings should auto update when you insert the other networks sim card. Just in case they don't it maybe beneficial to do a little homework to note down their specific apn settings. 

Regarding your Vodafone contract you could look at letting someone trusted use the sim card and you can update the bank account details so that payments come out of the trusted persons account or look at a transfer of ownership which is where someone takes over your Vodafone account. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.