Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using my 4s abroad via WiFi

shaunmylamb
4: Newbie

Shortly will be travelling to Canada and taking my iPhone 4s with me.

A friend has suggested as a 'Pay as You Go' rather than put a large amount on the account. Is turn off Data roaming and Mobile data off and use the Texting and Facetime via WiFi in the hotel etc.

If this right, do I ensure that only my email address is ticked in both Messages and FaceTime and my phone number unticked.

This is so I can just contact family as and when in the hotel, and not send or recieve any calls/texts out and about.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @shaunmylamb

Indeed yes. 

Hotel wifi could be painful to use so at least you'd have something to fall back on. 

Perhaps do a little homework on the networks available in the area your going to I'm order to get some prior knowledge on where best to pick up a sim card ,how to top up and the charges. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

There is no need to untick anything as such. Put the phone into airplane mode and that turns off everything. Then turn Wi Fi back on and you will be able to use the phone knowing that the phone's mobile radio is off and you cannot make or receive calls or texts or use mobile data.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

thanks,

so by doing this, I can still text and facetime via a WiFi

jeffkinn

Yes you can use iMessage and Whatsapp and Facetime

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers

Hi @shaunmylamb

Whilst Wifi is a good avenue to use it can be unpredictable, drop out especially if it's being accessed heavily by other guests, and slow meaning connecting FaceTime and surfing etc can be painful. 

Another avenue you could explore is unlocking your phone before you travel so that it accepts any Networks SIM card and look into a Local Sim Card to use. 

Links. 

Vodafone Unlocking Form.

Vodafone Unlocking FAQs.

Current Phone  >

thanks,

My phone is already unlocked so I am free to use any sim/network.

So by using a local network sim, I could use that for Internet access instead of relying on the local WiFi.

jeffkinn

Yes you could. Hotel and public Wi Fi often tends to be quite slow and video calling might be difficult.

It's a matter of trial and error.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Hi @shaunmylamb

Indeed yes. 

Hotel wifi could be painful to use so at least you'd have something to fall back on. 

Perhaps do a little homework on the networks available in the area your going to I'm order to get some prior knowledge on where best to pick up a sim card ,how to top up and the charges. 

Current Phone  >