Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wap data usage at 00:00 GMt

collie1
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi I've noticed wap data usage on my account at 00:00 every night that my handset is switched on all of my apps are turned off no notifications are active and my Wi-fi is always on is anyone else getting this? and could someone explain what it is?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

wwwww1 wrote:

I've got the same problem.

If you have the exact same problem then the solution and answers are as above.

The charges shown at around midnight are the accumulative amounts since the previous charge was levied. You need to remember that when the phone goes to sleep so does the wifi, so if you phone is in sleep mode and anything that uses data tries to do anything it will connect to your cellular network to do so. The only way to stop this happening it to either turn off Mobile Data or turn off the phone unless you stop apps working in the background. Things lke the phone checking for email can use a lot of data when you are not aware of it, so set the email to be checked for manually.

View solution in original position

16 REPLIES 16

kids

The entries at around midnight are the accumulation of data used during the preceding 24 hours.

With regard to your wifi always being on, this will make no difference if the phone is in sleep mode as the phone also shuts its wifi off shortly after the phone 'goes to sleep', wifi does not become active again until you wake up the phone.

If you have any apps that update themselves automatically or email set to push then if that happens when the phone is asleep then they will do so using cellular data and you will incur charges.

You can overcome this by turning the 'Cellular Data' toggle to off during the night.

Hi thanks for your reply I will try the solution

Many thanks

Not only does this happen at 00:00 it happens t random times throughout the night and no one can give me a satsfactory explanation why this happens. My partner has a SIM only contract for £15 for an iPhone 4 she bought and this month had 15 pages on her bill of WAP items. She is a low volume user, always has call minutes left, has no games on her phone and has the few apps she has all switched off for location services (which is what she was told in the Vodafone store was the problem).

I have a £35 contract which sadly runs until May 2013 and every month I see pages of ghost WAP activity at 00:00 and again around 04:00. This month I apparently downloaded a game at 00:00 as well as had 1.3mg of WAP. I certainly didn't!

I love the iPhone but I hate been fleeced and I wish someone could explain what on earth is going on. Any real answers out there?

Jebelious
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
Just so you know when the iPhone is locked and any data traffic stops after that point the device will then revert back to using the GSM network for data traffic instead of the WIFI connection. So if you have unusual usage in the evenings this may explain it if you have push email/notifications etc all switched on.

Typically the billing platform shows all data traffic on your actual bill as being done at midnight for the next day and on your unbilled data it will show the actual times the data was processed on the network.

So if you want to prevent the data from downloading on your device at night time i think there are some apps that may allow you to set a time when mobile data is switched off or you can just switch off celular data when you go to turn in for the night :Smiling:

If i have helped please feel free to click on the Thumbs Up below

wwwww1
4: Newbie

kids

wwwww1 wrote:

If you have the exact same problem then the solution and answers are as above.

The charges shown at around midnight are the accumulative amounts since the previous charge was levied. You need to remember that when the phone goes to sleep so does the wifi, so if you phone is in sleep mode and anything that uses data tries to do anything it will connect to your cellular network to do so. The only way to stop this happening it to either turn off Mobile Data or turn off the phone unless you stop apps working in the background. Things lke the phone checking for email can use a lot of data when you are not aware of it, so set the email to be checked for manually.

It works well!

Hello, kids! How to set the email to be checked for manually? I've got a BlackBerry Bold 9780. Thank you!

grolschuk
email being checked through the blackberry services should be covered by the BIS and Data bundle on your account.
As far as I know - because blackberry works on Push email tech, and your phone does not actually request the data, there is no way to put it to a manual mode... apart from turning off all data, and turning it on again when you want to use it.