main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

iOS

WiFi London Underground

Highlighted
2: Seeker

I am trying to connect to the London Underground WiFi through the Virgin Media Login page and I am receiving an error message that says 'As a pre-pay customer you need an active data bundle Please call 191.' I certainly have a data bundle - I've looked around at other posts and see that it is recommended to change the security to EAP-AKA or EAP-SIM. However, I have an iPhone X and am unable to do this. I just switched over to Vodafone and am hoping to get this resolved before my cooling off period so I can switch providers if this is unable to be fixed ASAP.  I've messaged customer service multiple times and they have been unable to assist. Any tips?

View more options
18 REPLIES

I am having the same issue with my iPhone X - could you please assist? Thanks.

View more options

Thanks for flagging this to us @TCAMERON11.

So that we can assist you further with your London Wi-Fi Underground query, please contact us through the details I've provided in your private message and a member of our team will be in touch to help.

View more options

Hi there - i filled out the form and received no response. Could you please assist? I would like this resolved before the 30 day cooling off period for my contract expires. Thanks.

View more options

@TCAMERON11 When submitting the form, did you later receive an automated email with a unique reference advising we'd be in touch soon? If so, please confirm this reference and we'll trace the email down for you.

View more options

Same issue, please help me

View more options

I HAVE BEING TRYING TO ASK FOR HELP FROM MANAGERS IN TECHNICAL SUPPORT AND IT FEELS LIKE TALKING TO AN WALL FROM A DIFFERENT COUNTRY.

CAN SOMEONE HELP?

View more options

@ilmarcello It's a shame to see that this hasn't been resolved for you when you contacted us previously. Are you currently on the latest iOS software (12.01) - if not, we'd advise updating this as it may help to resolve the issue. 

View more options
17: Community Champion

When I changed my phone to an iPhone Xs Max I lost my ability to connect to the Undeground WiFi. It's an issue with iOS 12. As soon as I upgraded yesterday to iOS 12.01 I was back to normal.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options

Hi,

I have iPhone XS and 12.0.1 and it's working for me.

I originally had problems (on 12.0.0) connecting to the vodafone wifi on the London underground as the wifi network was asking for a user/password. I resolved this connection issue with the wifi profile created here.

https://www.robk.com/fixing-vodafone-uk-subway-wifi

Haven't tried yet to see if the profile is still required to get things working with 12.0.1.

Will check this evening.

View more options

Removed the Vodafone-WiFi profile as setup by the link I posted above to check to see if London Underground WiFi works out of the box on iOS 12.0.1. It doesn’t.  On connecting to VodafoneWiFi it asks for a user and password, instead of connecting automatically. 

Looks like installing the profile is needed. 

View more options
4: Newbie

That’s the stage I’m at. 

I get a username and password. 

Ive raises issue here in a separate thread linking to the Voda page That says is a setting that has to be changed at the provider end, and to call 191. 

Each call starts positively, then they just tell me it’s being escalated and I’ll get an email, or a call back with a resolution... 

they trot out the same twee script. And don’t realise it’s new settings need pushed to the phone relating to EAP-SIM issue. 

I’m very underwhelmed by Vodafone techies to date. 

On the positive side, I’m paying for a service that they’re not providing me, so  effectively the contract is broken, so I can walk at any time. 

View more options
Having suffered from the same issue you have my sympathy. But provision of wifi on the Tube is not a contractual commitment so walking away penalty free is not possible.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options

Surely, if  they advertise it they have to supply it?

View more options
I'm afraid not. If you look at your airtime contract the only contractual obligation is to provide you with a UK mobile phone signal. As long as they're doing that somewhere in the UK they're fulfilling their obligations. All the other services are non contractual and discretionary.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options

Well, that’s very disappointing. 

As I have zero faith in Vodafone actual resolving the issue, or even contacting me as per their promises. 

Honestly. A dreadful company. 

View more options

Hi, 

In case it helps anyone, I found that even with the profile installed, it was still hit or miss as to whether it connected or not. In the first underground station, it continually failed to connect, asking for user password. In a different station it then connnected fine without asking for user / password. The strange thing is, going back to the first station again, it now connects fine on a regular basis. 

So so if it doesn’t work once, do keep trying a few times and in different stations or parts of the same station. Perhaps once you are connected once, it then seems to work better. It could be coincidence,  it that is how it’a appeared to me. 

View more options

Well, 

What about this for a reply?

Not much of a technical department if they can’t push an eap-sim profile to an iPhone XS?

and their statement that it used to work is wrong. Never worked for me on this phone & contract. 

3: Seeker

Hello. I have had this problem also since upgrading. Vodafone have been absolutely useless in resolving. I’ve contacted customer service multiple times. Every time I told them that under Settings on my phone, I didn’t have a profile. Without the profile, you can’t connect to the network and don’t even get the option to select EAP-SIM authentication. If you’re lucky, that’s the solution they recommend to you which does work for some, but I also got told to use Virgin (which doesn’t auto-connect, rarely works) and wastes time between stops as well as being asked for my postcode so they could check the signal in my area. CLUELESS!

As thought, it’s the missing profile that’s the issue. This website gives you the profile. Follow the link and install. Problem solved!

vodafone,  you really need to train your customer service and technical teams on this. Both myself and my partner had this issue and it’s clearly a common problem. 

www.robk.com/fixing-vodafone-uk-subway-wifi

View more options