main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

iOS

Wifi Calling iPhone 6 - Vodafone Red Bundles

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
4: Newbie

Having recently moved to a rural area and finding my self in a 'no signal zone' I picked up an EE pay as you go sim for my iPhone 6 (not plus) all good I could make calls from my iPhone 6 just as normal with no need for apps.

Yesterday I was on the verge of leaving Vodafone for EE, I called Vodafone to explain the situation and found out that their Red Value package supports wifi calling! Great so I decided to change my existing Vodafone contract over   to the red value package.

My question is :-

How do I enable wifi calling, I know iPhone 6 supports it, on EE I just went to :- Settings > Phone > Enable WiFi calling. 

Yesterday when I insrted my Vodafone SIM and went to :- Settings > Phone > Enable WiFi calling, it popped up with a message saying somthing about contacting my provider, now the setting seems to have vanished completely.

Any advice would be appriciated.

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
17: Community Champion

This is from the current link about Wifi calling. 

Excerpt : "

To take advantage of Wi-Fi Calling, you need:

a Pay monthly Red or Red Value Bundle, Red+ or Business Premier*

iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus"

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/network/network-improvements/wi-fi-calling/index.htm

Indicating right now it's only for the new iPhones due out soon. 

IMG_1084.JPG

View more options
101 REPLIES

Hi

Certain features are controlled by the network SIM card inserted.

When Vodafone release Calling over WiFi it's then likely that a Carrier Update will precede it so the feature is introduced into the iPhone's settings. 

IMG_1084.JPG

View more options

Hi bandofbrothers1,

Is that to say that Vodafone have not enabled WiFi calling on any Apple handsets yet?

View more options

Hi

As no one has an iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s yet and iOS 9 which is at GM Edition isn't due out to the general public until the 16/9/15 it's not possible to say. 

IMG_1084.JPG

View more options

This is from the current link about Wifi calling. 

Excerpt : "

To take advantage of Wi-Fi Calling, you need:

a Pay monthly Red or Red Value Bundle, Red+ or Business Premier*

iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus"

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/network/network-improvements/wi-fi-calling/index.htm

Indicating right now it's only for the new iPhones due out soon. 

IMG_1084.JPG

View more options

The iPhone 6s is, as far as Wifi Calling goes the same as the iPhone 6. The main differences are phyiscal changes to the casing, camera, 3d touch screen, and processor. But for wifi calling most importantly newest IOS.

I have just had a very interesting conversation with Vodafone technical. And as I suspected they will be rolling out WiFi calling to iPhones quote  "Including the iPhone 6 by the end of this month". My guess is that they are doing this for two reasons :-

1> To push pre order sales of the new iPhone 6s (as they are advertising it with Wifi Calling) despite the fact that the standard iPhone 6 is also perfectly capable of Wifi calling.

2> They are also awaiting the final GM release of IOS 9.

All in all good news for iPhone 6 users, we should be up and running with Wifi calling very shortly.

View more options
Thanks for the knowledge.

Yes iOS 9 is at GM EDITION now so it's practically in its finished format for launch ,and currently iOS 9.1 is being tested by Developers / public beta testers.

IMG_1084.JPG

View more options

I'm currently running iOS 9.1 PB on my 6 Plus and Wi-Fi Calling isn't enabled under 'Phone' settings just yet.

I'm fortunate enough to have good reception both where I live and work but it'll be a welcome addition.

Just waiting for VoLTE now! 

View more options

I suspect a Carrier update then will follow release of iOS 9 and the new iPhones.

May I ask :

I've been following interesting threads on a well known Mac apple site and a few are chatting about lag and stutters on the iPhone 6 Plus and iOS 9 and some say iOS 9.1 is better. Such as stutters when opening up the control centre and delays when opening up / closing down an app. How are you finding it. Sorry to go a little off topic. 😳

IMG_1084.JPG

View more options

For me the WiFi Calling is critical as we are in a no signal zone, I was just about to jump ship to EE but after speaking to a vodafone representative yesterday and learning about the Red Value package I was persuaded to stay.

As for the iPhone I can only talk about my experience with the iPhone 6 (std) it's great no stutters at all, I am also currently running iOS 9.1 on Apples beta program and thus far it's solid.

Cant wait for WiFi calling it will make a huge difference to us rural rednecks!

View more options
11: Established

I have a iPhone 6 which supports the identical Wi-Fi calling protocols as the 6S. So I contacted Vodafone on web chat last night and had them 'enable' it on my account.

It's not working yet but they said it can take up to 24 hours, I'm not overly hopeful though. It's insane to limit it to just the 6S when phones as far back as the 5 can support the same protocol.

View more options
2: Seeker

Hi there - what did you say to the web chat people to get them to do that? They hadn't even heard of wifi calling when I tried! 

Please keep us updated if it works on iphone 6 I'm also v keen to have it working as my signal is v poor at home. 

thanks

View more options
Administrator

Hi everyone,

All the information around WiFi calling currently states it will be restricted to the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.

As soon as more information is released, we'll update the link and let everyone know.

View more options
11: Established

Hi Dave,

Any particular reason for this? Care to explain if it's a technical reason? Because it seems complete arbitary to me, since the iPhone 6s doesn't support any new Wi-Fi calling protocols over older models.

In fact Apple haven't changed the way they deal with Wi-Fi calling as far back at the iPhone 5. So really you guys should be matching EE and just turning the protocol on for all devices that support it.

Seems like you're just using it as a carrot to lure in new customers for the 6s launch, although I'm SURE that's not the case (I'm rolling my eyes at this point sarcastically).

It would help people like me out, as a Virgin Media (100Mb) customer I don't have a landline (as I don't live in the 1950s) but I get a VERY weak Vodafone signal, my iPhone 6 spends nearly all of it's time displaying "No Signal". This is desite living in an area where your coverage checker states I should get a strong indoor 4G signal!

In fact, I've been considering getting a PAYG sim and cheap phone from one of your many competitors to have around the house that will recieve calls that get missed because I never have a Vodafone signal. I'd obviously rather not do this and have been hopeful for months that Wi-Fi calling would be turned on, it's extremely disapointed you're ignoring your current customers for this - I've been a customer with you guys for nearly 8 years now!

View more options
3: Seeker

Thanks Dave for raising your head above the parapet and posting the update.

Perhaps you could feed back up the line how badly received this information is and the bad feeling and complaints about the mis managed launch of wi-fi calling will only skyrocket when this spreads from the eForum to more general tech and news sites.

Vodafone would be well advised to get this sorted and quickly.

View more options
When I spoke directly with the Vodafone technical representative, I was specifically told that they would be enabling wifi calling on iPhones "Including the iPhone 6" and to clarify, I informed the representative that "I have an iPhone 6 not a 6plus or 6s" and he told me "not to worry my (iPhone 6) handset would be enabled by the end of this month". Before I was given this information I was considering cancelling my new contract using the cooling off period. If wifi calling is not enabled on my handset by the end of the month then Vodafone have blatantly lied to me, and left me with a contract that I can not even use. If this is the case I will be promptly contacting trading standards and also ofcom.

View more options

The chances of the person you speaking to knowing more than the mods on this forum or of the official announcements I would say are quite remote.

If you have a phone that you cannot use in the traditional manner when you want to use it then you have the wrong contract and network. The network is not contractually obliged to offer you Wi Fi calling and you won't be able to reply on that conversation as evidence of anything.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
You are quite wrong, under uk law a company cannot provide customers with incorrect or misleading information. When a customer asks a specific question the company/representative cannot simply fabricate an answer if they do not know.
For example if you contacted an IT company and asked for laptop that can run Final Cut and Photoshop, then the laptop they provide would need to be a Mac. They could not sell you a Windows laptop as it would not run Final Cut. This is exactly the same Vodafone have specifically told that my handset will be enabled for wifi calling by the end of this month. As such I agreed to new 12 month (Red Value) contract. Knowingly providing incorrect information in this manner is misleading and covered by the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations (2008).
Obviously I understand that they are not "contractually obliged" to provide Wifi calling et al, however in my situation they have specifically told me that my handset "will be enabled" and as such I have accepted the contract on this information.
View more options

In my opinion you are over estimating the protection the law is giving to you, something that is very common on this forum, and you will not be able to hold Vodafone to account when your iPhone 6 is not enabled for Wi Fi calling in a few days time.

The official announcement by Vodafone is that oly the 6s and 6s Plus will be enabled for Wi Fi calling and no timescale has been given for that to be switched on. That is what you should be relying on and nothing else.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
I'm just using the experience from my own business, we have to be very accurate in our product descriptions and what our customers can and cannot do. If the law was not in place it would mean that a company could tell customers anything they wanted in order to get a sale.
If we were to sell our customers products or services that did not fulfil our descriptions verbal or written we in breach of uk law and potentially in serious trouble.
The point I am trying to make is that Vodafone have specifically told me that I will receive WiFi calling on my iPhone 6, if the representative was not certain or had told me my handset is not compatible I would have excised my right to cancel the contract.
View more options