Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

eSim problem

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Wondering if anyone else has had the same problem I had transferring to an eSim (or attempting to)

So last night, I decide to set up my iPhone 12 Pro and as part of the process, change to eSim (as I want to put my work sim in the phone also)

I therefore:

1. Went to My Vodafone

2. Did Sim Swap and selected eSim then iOS

3. It went to the next page where it says your sim will go off and you must have wifi. 

4. Clicked OK

This was around 22:30 last night. Within five minutes or so, the sim went dead, I check my emails and no QR code. I lose interest at this point and go to sleep.

Cut to this morning, check my inbox, a QR code landed at 04:43 on email, on a PDF and I had to use my DOB to access it. Fair enough. All good. 

However the phone flashed up, invalid activation code.

So I then decide to have a bash at entering the details manually.

It's at this point, I realise, the QR code is blank. A generic URL and nothing else. Activation code set as: Not_Set

So it took a live chat to Vodafone where they resent the same QR code, again blank. I was then referred to MyVodafone to do a sim swap back to my physical sim. I couldn't do it as when I went through to sim swap again, it wanted to do a security check (the text) before it'd let me process.

However it didn't do the security check to move to eSim. It was at this point this sprung to mind. 

So I'm now back on physical sim (the guy helped me out) but want to move to eSim. Went back to sim swap and again, it didn't seem to want to do a check on my number. So when I got to the check box for "your sim will stop working". I bottled it. 

Just wondered if anyone else has had this kind of issue? Before I leave myself phone less on the second attempt.

21 REPLIES 21

Sorry to hear mate.

I'm on week 4 with no esim.  In the end had to order a new physical sim just to get service back to the phone!

The frustration is nobody ever emails to let you know whats going on.  The time I have spent on the phone to customer service must now be running in to days.

I would like to help with the resolution but I haven't got one yet!

All the best!

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let's see if we can get these requests escalated and get you both connected @spookype20 and @bmarsh. As we'll need access to your accounts to do this, pop our Social Media team a private message and one of our dedicated team will be happy to take a closer look.

I have the same issue. Transferred over to eSim through the app. Scanned barcode. Setup In settings (iphone12) okay but now no service

Hi @Shaun01212 👋 If you haven't already can you contact our social team by clicking here and we will get this looked into 😊

Bern in sane situation for weeks. Esim stuck on open order and they can't cancel it. Can't even get physical sim now. No number or two factor authentication. All you offer if £5 towards a bill. Funny as my bill is significantly more and I can't even use your service. Can't cancel my contract either as apparently there nothing you can do. Funny how you have the decency to change my account for service you decide not to provide. Switching to EE 

So.. after I got my first eSim (which took 3 days) I thought.. 'I've got esim now, what can go wrong?'  

New phone.. deactivated esim on old phone.. waited for email.. no email.

First attempt at support, told to go to my vodafone.  Except.. I can't.. I can't receive the SMS becuase the esim was deactivated.

Second attempt at support, they offer to send out a new one but say it'll take 24 hours.  During which time my phone is basically unusable - I can't even login to half the apps because they require sms verification, and I hope nobody needs to actually contact me..

After 2+ years you'd think the system would work, but it just doesn't.

Hi @TonyHoyle 👋 I'm really sorry to hear of the issue you've faced with your eSIM. If you do still require any support surrounding this, please reach out to the social team via this link, where we will be happy to help.

Vini
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Oh good. I'm not alone. Your story is almost identical to mine.

I've been toying with going dual sim for a few weeks. Initially, I wondered if my business contract supported eSIM - it doesn't. But then someone suggested converting my personal SIM to eSIM, and then dropping my business sim in the phone.

So yesterday, in a quiet period, I did exactly this/that/the other. I logged in to the website, and performed, as you did. a SIM Swap (to eSIM > iOS). When doing this, I never got a QR code, and very shortly after, I lost all signal to my phone (physical SIM disconnected). In a state of panic, I contacted the Customer Service team, who said they could see the issue (my SIM Serial on record was incorrect?!!!!?!?!!) and this had resulted in a failed switch. The recommendations were;

- Attempt another SIM Swap, selecting "to a new SIM" and enter the serial from my SIM in to the form, when doing this, I got the OTP prompt that you also experienced. "Please enter the 6 digit code we've sent to you by SMS". Yeah, nice one. (No signal, no SMS!).

or

- Option 2, go to a store to retrieve a new SIM.

So I went into store -- which is not sensible/easy to do in this pandemic. Thankfully I'd grabbed my wallet as I left home, as it transpires you need Photo ID and a Bank Card to receive a SIM. (As someone who's supported Corporate mobiles and been used to having stacks of blank SIM cards ready to assign on hand, this was a shock. And as someone who rarely carries his wallet as everything on my phone, I lucked out this time by having it on me!) 

Anyway, I explained my predicament, and the guy said whilst he'd never done an eSIM registration, he'd recently sat through training and he'd give it a go. It's not like the store was busy! 

10 minutes later, I get handed a receipt. And just as I'm walking out of the shop, signal returns. Everyone rejoices! He's done it! Top man........ after all the stress, I leave things alone.

Today, I take the SIM out, and my phone says No SIM/No Signal. Strange I thought. So I've checked the receipt, and he's linked my account back to the physical SIM!! Great. Square 1, at least I have signal.

The dust settles, and tonight at 20:45, rather than going online and doing all this again, I call Customer Services. They tell me I have to do it Online, or in store. Vicious circle.

Anyway, thinking I'd been unlucky, I fire up the MyVodafone App this time, and proceed. Nervous all the way. This time, I get a QR code. But as with yours. It's blank/useless. "Invalid Activation Code - The activation code you are attempting to use is not valid. Contact your Network Provider for more information". Grrrreeeaattt. No signal again. 

IMG_2554.jpg

It's late now, so I'm going to sleep on it and see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully an email with a working QR, but I'm not holding out much hope!

Vodafone's systems, processes and CS support scripts for this are down right terrible. Surely an eSIM should be easy as pie to activate?

GemmaP
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @Vini 

Sorry that you're having issues with your esim!

Give us a shout over on Social if you still need help, so we can look into your account 🙂

Can someone help me please? Requested the switch over 24 hours ago and no QR code. Old SIM has gone off. 

Webchat and phone are not helping at all.