main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

iOS

iMessage won't activate

2: Seeker

Okay so really need some help as both Apple Store and Vodafone Retail store both seem to be at a loss as to what the problem is. 

I have an iPhone 4S, was on O2 but recently unlocked and put onto Vodafone PAYG.  Ever since I've changed network I can't get iMessage to activate.  I've tried every solution online, erased the phone and set it up as a new iPhone, restored it, switched on/off Airplane mode, iMessage, Facetime, logged out of iCloud, reset network settings - you name it, and still it's not working.  Spent 20 minutes with an Apple Genius today and neither he nor his colleagues could work it out either.  When I turn on iMessages it just sits on 'Waiting for activation...' and my mobile number doesn't appear in the 'You can be reached by iMessage at' field.

This is incredibly frustrating and now thinking about going back to O2 just so I can use iMessage again.

If anyone can help and has a solution other than those already tried please let me know.

Thanks.

View more options
13 REPLIES
Moderator (Retired)

Hi StuartGolligy,

Welcome to the eForum.

This sometimes happens with ported or replaced numbers.

First go to 
Apple to see if your Apple ID is linked with the iPhone phone number. If it isn't, change it here and save it in the settings.

You'll then need to turn iMessage off, turn the iPhone off and on again, and then turn iMessage back on.

Cheers, Ben

View more options
1: Seeker

Hi Stuart,

Were you able to find a solution for this? I just moved from the US to the UK with an American-iPhone 5S and have started on vodafone payg, and am having the same problem. Please let me know what you ended up doing.

The apple ID change didn't seem to work for me. Thanks

View more options
8: Helper
I have got an iPhone 6 for Christmas and have put me nano sim from my iPhone 5 into my new iPhone 6.

It will now not activate the iMessage on my iPhone 6. It will activate via email but my mobile number is greyed out.

My phone number is stored on my apple ID account and in my iPhone.

How can this be activated to send via my mobile number and not my email?
If my post has helped you, please click on the thumbs up button
View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @shantelle90

Sorry to hear this.

Have you tried restoring your settings via iTunes?

Alternatively, please contact our Live help team here.

Thanks,

Rodney

View more options

Hi 

Just interested did you ever resolve this problem?  Same thing has happened to me, Vodafone say this not a vodafone problem, currently being looked at by Apple?? 

View more options

@adsajam - Please test the below, to activate your iMessage:

• Go to Settings, General, Date & Time and make sure your time zone is set correctly
  • Turn off iMessage and FaceTime, then restart your phone (switch it back on after)
  • Then go to Settings, Messages and tap the button next to iMessageto turn iMessage on again

I hope this helps! If not, then please let me know what’s happening and if you’ve got mobile signal.

View more options

Hi Gemma, thank you.  I've this and its currently awaiting activation.  I've been here before several times but lets wait and see.  I'll let you know what happens. 

View more options

Hi Gemma 

Activatation unsuccessful.  Turn on Imessage again and try again.  I've been doing this several times over the last few days and its still not working.

Any ideas? 

Angela

View more options

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that hasn't worked @adsajam. Have you recently changed phone? Have you had iMessage working before? What have Apple advised? 

Please check that you're running the latest iOS, as this can sometimes help to get you up and running: Tap Settings > General > Software Update. Tap Download and Install.

Please keep me updated and let me know if this helps 🤞

View more options

Hi

Thanks for your message.  I've had the phone for about 8 weeks now.  It was working fine, then I had an issue with premium rate texts which Vodafone said was sorted but the texts still wouldn't send.  Then I noticed no texts were going.  Imessage and Facetime continue to say activation unsuccesful, I go through the whole process every morning but nothing changes.  My number doesn't show up under imessage only my icloud login details.  Apple were suppose to call me back on Friday but that didn't happen, will chase them up today...not impressed!

Thanks, any suggestions will be helpful :-) 

View more options
Administrator

@adsajam As iMessage is a feature provided by Apple and not through ourselves, I'd say you've done the right thing in attempting to contact them directly. If you calls, normal texts and data are working correctly, then you look to be set up as you should be on our end. 

I do hope you're able to get back in touch with Apple and please do let us know what they advise. 

View more options

Hi Alex

Problem solved, went into Vodafone yesterday, replaced the SIM card and now everything works perfectly.  So I was a Vodafone problem as I suspected.

Regards 

View more options

Glad you got it sorted @adsajam. iMessage as far as I know, sends a kind of hidden text message to active, it may just have been that the SIM card was stopping it for some reason. 

Blair

View more options