Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone 13 and Apple Watch face mask unlocking

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

If, like me, you use your Apple Watch to unlock the phone when you're wearing a face mask, if you've upgraded to an iPhone 13 it might not work any more. I discovered this to my annoyance today and the Apple support website has the following statement:

Apple has identified an issue where Unlock with Apple Watch may not work with iPhone 13 devices. You might see "Unable to Communicate with Apple Watch" if you try to unlock your iPhone while wearing a face mask, or you might not be able to set up Unlock with Apple Watch.

This issue will be fixed in an upcoming software update. Until the update is available, you can turn off Unlock with Apple Watch and use your passcode to unlock your iPhone 13.

To turn off Unlock with Apple Watch, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode. 

Hopefully this bug will be fixed soon along with the CarPlay crashing when you try and play some music.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

2 REPLIES 2

Jambo1872
4: Newbie

Due my new phone tomorrow. Hoping carplay works as I use it all the time. 

Apple usually good at pushing out any fixes. Especially if its a “pie in their face” issue. 

jeffkinn
I had a problem with Car Play when iOS 15 was first issued as any attempt to play music would result in Car Play crashing. This is been fixed with 15.02. There was also a bug that stopped the Apple Watch unlocking the phone when wearing a mask and this was fixed in 15.01.

I hope you enjoy the phone!

Jeffkinn_Sig.png