Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone 5s - strong 3G signal but no data connection

snappy67
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello

Have an iPhone 5s on a (not 4G) contract.  I noticed today that it was not getting any data when away from wifi, even though it indicated a decent 3G signal.  Can still text  and make calls but no emails or apps that need data will work.  No internet.  Strangely, though, the My Vodafone app will work and seems to be able to access data.  Eg from the 'support' area I can visit the eforum and see posts made just now.

Initially thought it may be a network issue but checked the network status area of the website and there are no reported issues. Also, it still didn't work on the journey home (8-10 miles) and still refuses to work through my sure signal.  My wife's 4s works fine through it with wifi off.

I have tried hard and soft resets, updated the iOS software to the latest version, taken out and replaced the SIM card, toggled the cellular data, roaming and airplane mode buttons and reset the network settings.  No Joy.

Would be grateful if anyone had any ideas!

Thanks

23 REPLIES 23

whoswho
4: Newbie
Thanks for the reply. I trust I will not be billed for the days I am not receiving my contracted service?

Also why also can I not get 3G (when it is generally working) inside a building vodafone say I should?

Hi whoswhos,

3G isn’t guaranteed as part of your Ts&Cs.

We only offer line rental refunds where there’s a total outage with a cell site. If 2G is still available, we don’t offer refunds for reduced 3G service.

If the hard reset hasn’t worked, please could I have your full postcode to see which cell site you connect to?

If you don’t want it showing on the eForum, add it to your profile here. Just let us know when you’ve added it.

Thanks,

Simon

I have added my postcode to my profile, thanks.

But if I cannot get any internet access on my phone the. You aren't providing me with 2G or 3G surely?

Thanks,

Modifiedmadness
3: Seeker
I'm having the same trouble with my 5s - showing 3G but unable to load anything other than vodafone's website, send iMessages etc - yet my wife who is also on Vodafone but has an iphone 4s is able to browse and do everything else using 3G, not best pleased. Might as well not have called 191 earlier for the amount of help it was.

Won't even load on E as I don't get 3G at home anyway, if I didn't have broadband I'd have no internet whatsoever, so much for the data aspect of my price plan.

whoswho
4: Newbie
I just want them to acknowledge there's an issue and tell me when it will be sorted rather than hanging in limbo!

Has this issue been solved?

I am currently the same - no data away from wifi.  Tried resetting phone but nothing is helping.

Please contact me about this.

Modifiedmadness
According to the lady that called me, they are transferring to a new system. She said it should be a couple of days (who knows if that's true) and that Vodafone will be compensating people… again who knows if that's true.

Any update from any Vodafone employee? This is a total joke. a week without 3G signal is surely a breach of contract? Why does the vodafone website work but all other's not? Is it a routing problem?

Hi all,

Can you please read this and let me know how you get on?

Thanks,

Wayne

This did not work for me. I had been doing this on a daily basis for the last week.