cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone 6s speaker packs up 1 month out of warranty, 11 month of contact left.

sg_frost
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My iphone 6s has developed a crackle from the speaker when I make or receive a call. It started about a month ago and had I gone straight back they would have changed it under warranty, but now one month out of Apples 12 month warranty Vodafone want me to pay for it to be replaced, £264. The phone does not have a mark on it, never been dropped and always in a case.

Under the credit consumer act, products should be of satisfactory condition for a reasonable period of time, as Vodafone sell these devices on a 24 month contract, they should be expected to last 24 months. The phone has been back to a vodafone store and they have sent it away and want me to pay to have it repaired.

Would you accept the charge or would you fight it?

12 REPLIES 12

I think people need to understand here that within the European Union, you are covered for two years on electical goods. In England and Wales, it's up to six years.

If the phone is faulty though no fault of your own (you've not taken it swimming or damaged it yourself) then they are obligated to repair or replace under the law.

Apple even have a statement on the website relating to this after their 12 month warranty was (rightly) challenged.

If the phone is not fit for purpose then they are obligated to help you.

As the original poster I should update on the progress. I finally got through to someone at the Vodafone consumer team who confirmed that it was covered for two years. Armed with an email he sent me I went into the store. The assistants were non too pleased but the phone was sent away again and replaced with a new (probably refurbished) phone. As I left they could not help but have a parting shot, "that's it now, no more warranty, the guy at Vodafone has been disciplined for sending you that e-mail". We shall see!

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Thank you for your update. :Smiling:

But..... anyone searching for an answer should be aware that your resolution is very much the exception and not the norm. 

As touched upon in all similar threads here and in other places the iPhone comes with 12 Months of Manufacturing Warranty and can be extended by Apples Apple Care+.

The information on Uk law in my opinion can't lwsys be applied and to be honest I've not ever had someone come back saying trying to apply these laws has been successful :Sad_face:

In my humble opinion it's about time Apple thought about applying a 24 months Manufacturing Warranty. I've been using iPhones from the iPhone 4 launch up to the iPhone 6 Plus and had no issues really and their customer service is exemplary if your within the 12 months warranty period.

Right now they add 12 months and refer people to their information page on this Uk Law and detach themselves. 

The Vodafone Employee who supplied you this email in my opinion has circumvented this period of warranty and could well of been out of their remit to do so. 

It's great for you that the Vodafone Highstreet Store complied as thry could have refused even with your support email as its clearly not the correct information.

All that said it's good you eventually reached a resolution.  

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.