main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

iOS

iPhone 7 blacklisted for no reason

3: Seeker

Hi community,

its quite a long story but ill try keep it short...

I've bought a refurbished iPhone 7 with a 2 years vodafone contract from [Removed]  in April 2017 and everything was going fine until yesterday.

I use my phone for work and it worked all day until about 4pm when I wanted to check my phone and it stated “No service” instead of the network bars. I wasn’t alarmed and I thought it might be a network issue so I checked my area with my laptop and no faults were reported. I turn off and on my phone, both with the normal button and the down volume button combo, still nothing. 

My first idea idea was that my SIM card may be dead ( I doubted it but anyway), I left work early to reach a Vodafone store on time and asks the employee what is happening with my phone. She checks my identity and my profile, and tells me she doesn’t know, it is certainly the SIM and changes my SIM with a brand new one. She advises to wait 24h to see a difference.

I go home, and i remember i got a spare iPhone 5 so i decided to pop my new SIM in it by curiosity. What a surprise, the SIM works! Put it back in my iPhone 7 and it says No Service....

i started being alarmed and looked on the internet for solutions, while trying solutions I went into Settings, Carrier and found that the Network options says “phone not authorised”... This gave me a really weird feeling, so I went to the website Check MEND to see if my phone was reported as blocked or stolen. Guess what? It is blocked by an operator!!!

Now I have a useless phone I cannot use and I need for work, I had to pay for the Check MEND test and I am pretty ##~##!!!

my questions:

- Can Vodafone unlock my phone ASAP please? I’m pretty disappointed of this it never happened to me.

- Why has it been blacklisted?

- Can we prevent the blacklisting happening again?

- Why didn’t the employee in the store tell me that instead of letting me run around looking for a solution?

- What compensation can Vodafone offer?

View more options
12 REPLIES
17: Community Champion

Hi @TheM3dster

From what you have written, you purchased a refurbished iphone 7 from a third party and now it has been blacklisted.

If this is correct, you are going to need to go back to the point of sale and take it up with the seller, they are responsible for the equipment sold to go with the airtime contract from Vodafone.

View more options

Spoke to a woman from the customer service of Carphone Warehouse and she spoke to Vodafone that will be looking into it...

I’m pretty disappointed by the whole experience, both parties keep on avoiding responsibility so I may have to log in a formal complaint with a customer association and report the phone has sold as a stolen/lost phone to the police.

View more options

Hi @TheM3dster

Don't stand for nonsense from Carphone, they have taken your money for a phone which may have been preowned and now the phone has ended up on the stolen blacklisted list at Checkmend.  Go back to the store and tell them straight that you want the phone replaced or money refunded and stand your ground until this has been done.

This is going to be between you and the third party, don't let Carphone get away with having sold you a phone which may have been reported as lost or stolen from the original owner.

View more options

I spoke to the citizen advice and they agree with you. They are responsible for selling an item that doesn’t work and that they may not hold the title for.

I am filling a formal complaint letter with their help and I will send it to Carphone Warehouse. 

I will also visit their store after work to ask for explanations. 

Vodafone should stop associating themselves with these roque traders whose customer service is appalling.

View more options

@TheM3dster

You may find the Consumer Rights Act 2015 useful. 

Just one query. 

Has it been established that its Vodafone that have applied the imei bar ?

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Duos.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Thanks!

this is something I am struggling with, neither Vodafone or CW could tell who it was.

Vodafone just confirmed to me it has indeed been blacklisted but said that’s all they got which I have a hard time to believe...

View more options

Hi @TheM3dster

You won't get any information on who or why the phone was blacklisted so no point asking.  At a guess it was the original and first owner, a common scam, sell the phone, make an insurance claim and have double money.

When you go back to the store, you want the phone replaced immediately.  

View more options

Hi,

I will do this.

Should I go to the police as well to let them know of the potential scam?

thanks,

View more options

@TheM3dster

The Police are far too busy doing more important things, but it up to you.  Personally, I wouldn't bother they won't do anything or take any notice.

Understandably you are upset and annoyed about this, who wouln't be.  When you go to Carphone, go in calmly and be very polite but firm.

View more options

So... after sending escalation emails, after visiting the Carphone Warehouse, here is the aftermath.

i visited the Carphone Warehouse store and the employee was really helpful. He called Vodafone in front of me to discuss the issue and apparently Vodafone did blacklist my phone for no specific reason. They provided me an email address to ask for the in-blacklisting of the phone.

when I went home I sent the email and now shouldn’t take more than 72h to unlock it.

suddently I received a call from an operations manager from Carphone Warehouse who I sent a formal complaint letter and he investigated the issue this afternoon with Vodafone as well. He reported that the issue was escalated to Vodafone Security Services team who should unblacklist it really quickly. 

Hopefully they will resolve the issue...

View more options

@TheM3dster - This sounds like a frustrating experience and I’m sorry for any inconvenience it’s causing.

If you need any further help, then we can look into what’s happening with the blacklisted phone.

I’ve sent you a private message with how to send us your details.

View more options

All sorted folks!

I’m sorrry to say, but considering Vodafone are the ones that messed up in the first place, im not impressed with the way they handled the issue. I even received an email from their technical team saying they couldn’t lift the block because the owners information aren’t matching...

on on the other hand, the mobile.co.uk support team has been awesome, consistently calling me back and demonstrating support and concern.

James from the company just called to announce me that it was sorted and it was indeed. Thanks Mobile.co.uk you just won a customer for life. Vodafone, I’m not impressed, you might want to learn what’s proper customer service.

View more options